Building a Green House.

/ Building a Green House. #21  
i have enjoyed all your pictures. Including the "Last Barn Build". But can't hardly comment on the pictures without admiring the WIDE OPEN spaces and fantastic land. Makes me wish I was there and had a horse.

OH also, nice project.

/ Building a Green House. #22  
A greenhouse in on our list to build as well, but it will be a little while yet.

About those geo thermal loops. I can see them working in the cold regions of the US as long as they're below the frost line. But, what about down here in the south? Anyone have experience with them in the south. The only thing I have is that my well driller tried 2 things and said it wasn't worth the effort. 1) Since he's a well driller, he drilled well holes for a geo-thermal Air Conditioning system and said it was not cost effective. 2) He dug a root cellar, but the top was covered with the floor of a porch and the "roof" was uninsulated so that doesn't really count in my book.

What I've read about the geo-thermal tubes is that they have to be down about 8' and use a small fan to move the air thru them.
No it just needs a circulator pump. I think he has geo thermal closed loop ground source type system. All large motels have those pumps to circulate hot water to keep it readily available to each room. You have to have an air purge at the highest point to get all air out.

I'm in the south and have put these in. 20 miles and I'm in Louisiana. You don't have to drill a well.

Last edited:
   / Building a Green House. #23  
Framing done, waiting for metal and translucent panels.

View attachment 756902View attachment 756903
Some folks here built one. I guess they had a plan from up north. That thing has a 12/12 pitch on it. Even yours looks like a 4/12 pitch. Much easier to deal with. They never skinned it after the first time. Just framing now. They should put metal and a few scattered pieces of fiberglass sheathing on the roof to make it usable. Around here you can grow till November. We always plant corn on valentine's day. Some things will grow all winter if it doesn't snow my mother has a green house area and it's nice to have plants already started before setting out. Now we have major problemo with coons. Took dad 5 big live traps for them. Can't use foot hold traps because of kids and dogs, we love both. Dad's just hauling them 20 miles away and letting them go. We did grow over 6000 watermelon, but it won't happen this year. I'm talking a pack of fur bandits with black masks have hit us on the regular. Fig trees stripped. Peach trees no peaches. Fat coons everywhere. Them live traps and sardines are rectifying the situation.

/ Building a Green House. #24  
Can't emphasize enough the importance of good ventilation in a greenhouse, it can be 40 out and 100+ inside when the sun comes out. And the temperature goes up really fast. In a greenhouse the size of yours a thermostat controlled fan and inlet shutter is a must!
In the meantime frame in the openings in the gable ends to accommodate the fan and inlet shutter, at least large enough for a 3' fan. Put temporary doors or shutters on them.
Even cloudy days will often result in significant thermal gain. It's not unusual for my greenhouse to be 80 degrees when its 55 and cloudy. Usually if you can tell where the sun is through the clouds there will be gain.

/ Building a Green House.
Sorry haven't posted in a bit, I've been busy with hay.
Here are a few pictures of the progress. Still need to put up 8 more wall panels but ran out of screws. Should be done by Friday. Then I can start working on the doors. They will be sliding barn style doors.

IMG_1373.JPG
IMG_1374.JPG
IMG_1375.JPG

Not really greenhouse related but I got the fuel tanks finally. The summer tank is full. (thanks Brandon)
I will fill the winter tank in January. The strap was on because it was still empty at that time.
It is so nice to not use 5 gallon gas cans anymore.
IMG_1362.JPG
IMG_1363.JPG

/ Building a Green House. #27  
Does the fuel company come out and fill it for you? My neighbor did it for awhile, but quit because it was too expensive.

Does the fuel company come out and fill it for you? My neighbor did it for awhile, but quit because it was too expensive.
Yes they come out and fill it for the same price as the pump price. (red)

The shell is done, now I have until next spring to get the raised beds setup and a watering system.
IMG_1382.JPG
IMG_1384.JPG

/ Building a Green House. #30  
Looks great. How much of a temperature change is there inside the building?