Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #41  
...The film is apparently from Russia or Turkey, judging by the script.
At first I thought you were referring to Mossy's video... I was gonna say, "He don't SOUND Russian"... :LOL:

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #42  
Forgot I had this photo already posted here.

Here's how much ballast was needed to make this 24 hp Yanmar match the drawbar pull of the Ford 9N described above. Same rated hp, but this was designed to put 20 hp out the PTO continuously to the tiller that was almost always sold along with the tractor.

Quality was excellent so a lot of these (YM2000, the Japan-market twin) got repainted and imported over here where they are still durable and reliable as they approach 50 years old.

ym240-nebraska-test-ballast-jpg.722712

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #43  
Learning2Tractor, my advice if the parcel will still have underground roots when you start to cultivate it, is get a rototiller not a moldboard plow.

What remains hidden underground will be something like the roots on this stump. And this had been dead for years, unlike the healthy roots you have.

p1360233rdigstump-jpg.296878

Finding a root with a plow will stop a small tractor like you threw out an anchor. Pure frustration over years, to dig out each obstacle.

I know I'll hit roots in my orchard. The rototiller is great, when it meets a root it climbs over it without a fuss. My advice is you need a rototiller, not a plow, considering what you will have remaining underground.

p1640595rrototilling2011-jpg.222411

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #44  
An ex in-law had a 47 Farmall Cub rated at about 11 hp. I used it to cut heavy pasture with a belly mounted 4' Mott hammer knife. It also had a 4' belly mounted blade I used for snow, frame mounted cultivator, sickle bar mower, and a 12" plow.

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #45  
An ex in-law had a 47 Farmall Cub rated at about 11 hp. I used it to cut heavy pasture with a belly mounted 4' Mott hammer knife. It also had a 4' belly mounted blade I used for snow, frame mounted cultivator, sickle bar mower, and a 12" plow.
Spent many a hour riding a International Harvester Cub.

Engine13 hp 9.7 kW
International Harvester Cub Power
Drawbar (claimed)10 hp 7.5 kW
PTO (claimed)11 hp 8.2 kW
Plows1 (12 inch)

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #46  
How is 10 garden tractors doing the work of 1 field tractor showing the benefits of a garden tractor in a field?
The point is, you don't need 40hp to pull a plow. I like the idea of a rototiller. A disk may work well too amongst all those roots.

Last edited:
   / Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #48  
288-td4-b02-ext045.jpg

Red International Cub, front-right view​
Spent many a hour riding a International Harvester Cub.

Engine13 hp 9.7 kW
International Harvester Cub Power
Drawbar (claimed)10 hp 7.5 kW
PTO (claimed)11 hp 8.2 kW
Plows1 (12 inch)
International Harvester Cub Weight
Operating (early)1,477 lbs (early)
669 kg
Operating (late)1,877 lbs (late)
851 kg
Ballasted2,891 lbs
1311 kg

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor operators. Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other single (1) specification.

An ex in-law had a 47 Farmall Cub rated at about 11 hp. I used it to cut heavy pasture with a <belly mounted> 4' Mott hammer knife.

Last edited:
   / Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #49  
I pull a 2-14 plow with my l3901.I also pull a 7 ft disk with it. The key item is weight. I have rim guard in my tires and 3 sets of wheel weights. Traction has never been an issue btw it’s a hydrostatic

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #50  
The advantage of a roto-tiller over a plow is that weight and traction aren't necessarily part of the equation. Horsepower and low ground speed capability are paramount.