100hp Tractor for 240 acres. M6? 5711? 5115M?

/ 100hp Tractor for 240 acres. M6? 5711? 5115M? #11  
Fendt's are nice (and expensive) European built units, not a lot of dealer presence around here, in fact the nearest dealer is over 180 miles from here. Love to own a Fendt Vario but with no dealer presence close by, a little issue could become a BIG issue pretty quick.

Lots of them on Tractor House for sale, newer ones and older ones which tells me they do have issues.

/ 100hp Tractor for 240 acres. M6? 5711? 5115M? #12  
When I decided to buy a new tractor, Kubota was my first choice. The more I looked at the, and the more I compared them to other brands, I became less and less of a fan of Kubota. Nothing wrong with them, but they really don't compare to some of the other brands for the same or less money.

Massey Ferguson was the best choice for me when comparing it to the other brands. Bigger, heavier, more features, better tires, air seat, instructor seat, rear fender controls for the 3 point lift, doors on both side of the cab, big roomy cab and the list goes on and on. Mine is a 70 HP 4707. I started out wanting 100 HP so I could pull a 15 foot batwing, but the 4707 does not use DEF, and I really don't want a tractor with DEF. Once I adjusted my thinking to 70 HP, it was pretty easy to go with a medium duty 12 foot batwing. My tractor does everything you're wanting except the big mower. Some people pull a 15 foot batwing with a 70 HP tractor, so it's doable, but with the 12 foot mower, I have plenty of power to go through the tallest and thickest weeds on my place and never slow down. Now that it's all mowed, I'm just going over everything to keep it nice. For $55,000 with zero percent interest, plus $13,000 for the mower, I don't think any brand can touch the 4707 for the money!!!

272122171_3035671306697539_2371806571401384691_n.jpg

/ 100hp Tractor for 240 acres. M6? 5711? 5115M?
I do not normally post in the buying section as folks just post "buy what I did as its the best" or even stupider "weight is the number one consideration when buying a tractor". Here are my thoughts, you did not mention much about the lay of the land so I do not know if you have much in the way of woods / trees, or hills. Looking at Google maps it looks fairly flat (hills and flat are relative terms ask someone from Colorado what a hill is vs someone from Kansas). Also what is your experience with equipment operation and repairing? Without knowing these I am going to make some assumptions. My experience has been working part time on three farms in 3 unique geographic areas each more than 700 miles apart with very different types of equipment that ranged from 25hp to 425hp, and 1970's to 2022 models. My day job is in ag equipment so I have the opportunity to hear about what is good and what is bad equipment wise from around the country.

First always buy equipment with good dealer support unless your very confident in your repair skills. I have a coworker who is having heck with his Challenger because the local dealer has incompetent mechanics. The machine is good, but the mechanics take three to six attempts before a problem is fixed. He is looking at selling and buying something that is not a Challenger/AGCO product just so he does not have to work with the dealer any more.

Power Shuttle is great when doing a lot of loader work. It allows you to go forward and backwards without shifting. Power Shift is nice when mowing as you can easily speed up and slow down without clutching allowing you to adjust for the conditions. I am partial to a smaller frame tractor for mowing and general around the farm work as long as hills are not involved. They are more agile and responsive, however if your towing heavy loads or dealing with loader work on hills a larger machine might be nice. For example Hay Dude has good hills and is dealing with heavy balers, large bales, and heavy trailers a larger tractor makes a lot of sense for his operation. A farm I worked at for a few years was flat, and used large 5x6 round balers, we used small framed 90 hp 7,500lb tractors and moved bales with backhoes so a lighter baler tractor worked just fine and was more agile in the field. Hay Dude's photos do a great job of demonstrating similar engine hp on different sized tractors. The Challenger MT535B weighs around 14,000lbs, and the Kubota M126X around 10,500 lbs. Something like a Farmall 120C weigh's around 7,500 lbs. When I saw one at a show I thought that the Farmall 120C was a great mowing machine, and round baler tractor but it would be scary running a large baler on steep hills with it.
A bigger tractor can pull a bigger disc / drill something like a Farmall 120C will run out of tractor before HP, whereas the Challenger MT535B will run out of HP before traction. A 10' drill can be handled by a Farmall 120C as could a 10-14' disc depending on soil type. The smaller tractors are also easier to get in and out as they have less steps, and can be transported by a smaller truck. Also an 8' mower on a larger frame tractor does not leave much overhang for trimming. A smaller frame lets you get the mower closer to trees and whatever your mowing without having to get the tractor right up next to it. I chose to use the Challenger MT 535B, Kubota M126X, and Farmall 120C as examples, not that I was suggesting them, but they demonstrate a good cross section of the 100 hp tractor offering. I discussed haying despite knowing that your not going to bale to demonstrate capabilities of the equipment.

If you plan on running near trees the Kubota's have very thin roofs that I would be concerned about, but am not sure that others are any better. Best solution is to trim trees before going near them.

I would avoid Fent's. Not that they are not good machines, they are great. However they are full of electronics. I would be very concerned about how well they age and the availability / cost of parts in the future. But boy are they nice. Was at a farm show last year and the Fent was the nicest inside out of all the tractors. There will be lots of folks who suggest you get an older pre emissions machine. However that means buying a 2010 or earlier model. I personally would buy an older machine, but paying $100k cash for a tractor is not feasible for me, so your situation is different. If I was in your shoes I would consider new as the warranty would be worth it to me. Anything post 2010 is going to have emissions and electronics so a dealer is critical.

Massey, Kubota, JD and CNH are all good. I would look at the New Holland Workmaster 120 its not a power shift, but has power shuttle and is an economy machine, the price is darned sharp too. The New Holland Powerstar 110 and 120 are also worth looking at as they have power shift. Case IH Farmall, Vestrum, and Maxxum are all good machines as well. Whatever you do get the Skid Steer quick attach for the loader if its an option.

Remember my advice and everyone's on this board is worth what you paid for it. Also on this forum most folks experience with tractors is in the compact segment so they have a very different outlook, and some very strong opinions. Good luck on your hunt for a new tractor.
So I have a fair bit of equipment experience. I own multiple pieces of construction equipment we run for our business. I have a 70hp Kubota at the home farm. I collect Massey Harris and Oliver tractors. I own a steam engine. That kind of thing.

Tree lines are all being trimmed back with the mulching head on an excavator. No intention of running near trees. All fence lines have enough room to comfortably run an 8’ mower between the fence and tree lines.

There are some steeper spots but I general we’re talking about gently rolling hills. Central NC. Nothing too crazy.

There are some pretty specific reasons that a new or near new tractor is going to be needed. My accountant can explain it better. 😂

I’m really leaning towards a Massey 5711 with the Dyna trans right now.

/ 100hp Tractor for 240 acres. M6? 5711? 5115M?
When I decided to buy a new tractor, Kubota was my first choice. The more I looked at the, and the more I compared them to other brands, I became less and less of a fan of Kubota. Nothing wrong with them, but they really don't compare to some of the other brands for the same or less money.

Massey Ferguson was the best choice for me when comparing it to the other brands. Bigger, heavier, more features, better tires, air seat, instructor seat, rear fender controls for the 3 point lift, doors on both side of the cab, big roomy cab and the list goes on and on. Mine is a 70 HP 4707. I started out wanting 100 HP so I could pull a 15 foot batwing, but the 4707 does not use DEF, and I really don't want a tractor with DEF. Once I adjusted my thinking to 70 HP, it was pretty easy to go with a medium duty 12 foot batwing. My tractor does everything you're wanting except the big mower. Some people pull a 15 foot batwing with a 70 HP tractor, so it's doable, but with the 12 foot mower, I have plenty of power to go through the tallest and thickest weeds on my place and never slow down. Now that it's all mowed, I'm just going over everything to keep it nice. For $55,000 with zero percent interest, plus $13,000 for the mower, I don't think any brand can touch the 4707 for the money!!!

View attachment 757125
I run several pieces of Kubota construction equipment and am beyond satisfied with them and the dealer. Also have an M7040 which has been rock solid for years. Thought a Kubota tractor would be a no questions answer.

The more I’m looking at it though… I don’t know how to justify an M5 cover a 4710 or an M6 over a 5711D.

/ 100hp Tractor for 240 acres. M6? 5711? 5115M? #16  
We have good Kubota, Massey, Deere and CNH support. I’ve never seen a Fendt dealer around here.
It would be an AGCO/Massey dealer that carries them. They’re owned by AGCO.
Arguably the best tractor in the world.

AGCO tractor brands:
1. Massey Ferguson
2. Fendt
3. Challenger
4. Valtra
5. AGCO (no longer produced)

All damn good tractors

Last edited:
   / 100hp Tractor for 240 acres. M6? 5711? 5115M? #18  
My recommendation is MF4710 or MF5710. A lot beefier built than the rest of the tractors in that size on the market - look the the tractor weights and you will see what I am talking about.
I agree with this post. Last fall I purchased a new 2021 MF 4707 with the upgraded loader (FL3615), cab, and air seat. The combination of rubber mounted cab, air seat, and well placed controls make it a comfortable tractor to operate for hours on end. I've checked out other tractor cabs in this segment and most of them aren't as nice as this one, whether it's shift levers or loader joysticks placed weirdly, a cheap seat, or less visibility through the glass.

Seems like a 4710 or its bigger brother the 5710 would fit your criteria well.

/ 100hp Tractor for 240 acres. M6? 5711? 5115M? #19  
   / 100hp Tractor for 240 acres. M6? 5711? 5115M? #20  
The Duetz Fahr 5080D w/loader $55K
air ride seat nice big cab 80hp no regen
no def to add 4 wheel brakes standard
plus a lot more you can check it out here:

willy
seen it for $50K