Buying a new truck ? Times have changed.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #61  
Be aware large inventory stocks are a thing of the past. Inventories cost money!
I wonder how long this will last. All it will take is one manufacturer to start increasing dealer inventories and the rest will jump on the bandwagon pretty fast. No one wants to lose a sale to a competitor because the competitor has a desirable vehicle in stock and they don't.
Maybe not the extreme inventories of years past, but I can't believe most car buyers are going to be content to have to order a vehicle and wait months to receive it.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #62  
I wonder how long this will last. All it will take is one manufacturer to start increasing dealer inventories and the rest will jump on the bandwagon pretty fast. No one wants to lose a sale to a competitor because the competitor has a desirable vehicle in stock and they don't.
Maybe not the extreme inventories of years past, but I can't believe most car buyers are going to be content to have to order a vehicle and wait months to receive it.

This would not be a case of delayed construction due to parts but Companies deciding on what and how many would sell and stockpiling a limited number at a central location. This stock would be replaced as deleted. It would keep a lot less inventory on the shelves.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #63  
I dunno, I've never thought of toyota as a serious truck maker...yeah it's a market segment they need to be in, but their trucks are mediocre and they don't update them very often. As far as "reliability" goes, meh, just shows the power of marketing. I don't see a large number of old ones on the road.
Lots of way better choices IMHO.
That's why I ignore the marketing and the spoutings of individuals, I look at data. Consumer Reports collects that data and the Tundra outpaces all similar trucks in terms of reliability by a large margin.

Since I don't give a hoot about flashy updates or styling, Tundra works for me. Ford and Ram make good trucks if you only want them for the first few years. Both of them have individual vehicles that last, but on average they have more major issues than Toyota or Honda. The Honda is not good enough for off-road for me or I would look at them, too.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #64  
Japanese pickups had a lot to overcome when introduced...

Starting being from Japan, cheaply made, etc...

What turned the tide was reliability and low cost of ownership.

Remember when in the 60's coach bought a Datsun pickup and it was very much the topic of conversation starting with WWII vets and Detroit for me...

The irony came later when Ford Courier was built by Mazda and Chevrolet Isuzu... and later GM and Toyota joint venture...

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #65  
I bought a new Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 dual cab High Lift in July last year. I was lucky. It came into the dealer the day I saw it and the bloke that ordered it had changed his mind. It was the color I wanted too. They offered it to me for Au $61,000. I said if you make it $58,000 we have a deal. They settled on $58,500.
(US $40,426) and I drove it home 2 days later as they needed to prep it. Love the truck.
We pay much higher prices than you guys but today I can still get my full money back on the truck. I have 15,000 klm on it now and just had the first service.

Just for interest sakes, we do not have any rust problems here at all. UNLESS they have been driven on beaches.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #66  
I doubt there's much demand for el-strippo vehicles of any type these days, including trucks. Personally, I don't have much use for a lot of that stuff either (I'd even skip A/C if it was possible...rarely if ever use it). Do any still come with a bench seat? I hate consoles, especially the huge ones today's vehicles have. Even hard to find something with just the extended cab, don't really have a need for a back seat in a truck, rather have a larger bed but apparently that's not what's selling anymore.
I do like that modern trucks ride better and give better gas mileage than in years past.

Trucks aren't even marketed as work vehicles anymore. Look at the ads on tv...they all show trucks climbing over boulders, splashing thru puddles, etc., an application I'd say very few customers actually use them for. Why? Who knows, must work or they wouldn't do it.

I dunno, I've never thought of toyota as a serious truck maker...yeah it's a market segment they need to be in, but their trucks are mediocre and they don't update them very often. As far as "reliability" goes, meh, just shows the power of marketing. I don't see a large number of old ones on the road.
Lots of way better choices IMHO.

Toyota also owns Hino. They make some pretty serious commercial trucks.
Toyota also owns Aisin. They are well known for truck transmissions and driveline components.

I’d put Toyota equal to Ford on class 6 & 7 trucks. On full size pickups, Toyota still isn’t there.

Last edited:
   / Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #67  
Just bought this a month ago. 2003 F150, 4.2L, 8ft bed, 2wd, manual, roll-up windows, manual door locks, and 49,000 miles. A good friend told me if they ever sold it they would let me know. Paid cash for it. Never thought that would happen but they did. Perfect go getter truck and back and forth to work. Love the 8ft bed. Never thought I would like a basic truck but I am really happy with this. I got rid of a 2016 f150, 4 door, eco boost 2.7, 4x4 with payment for this. I never thought I would say this but the newer Fords to me feel plastic and cheap. I really did not like the 2016 and I have always been a Ford man.

B09B5907-0814-47CE-A695-9082B19AE65A.jpeg

I also had a 2019 f250, 4 door, 4wd, dealership bought back. Now I have a 2002 f250, v10, 4x4, Lariat with 35,000 miles. I went from searching for newer to older with low miles. I really like this truck and it should bring years of service.

76946EFD-FD71-4856-9918-55F14DF6E475.jpeg

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #69  
I prefer to order my vehicles from the factory. That way I get the color I want, engine I want, options I want, and nothing I don't want. We just replaced my wife's SUV with a Chevy Silverado 1500. Ordered it on January 5, arrived April 30. Exactly as we wanted it. In the past I would settle for a vehicle that was on the lot that came closest to my wish list. Now I get everything on my wish list.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #70  
I prefer to order my vehicles from the factory. That way I get the color I want, engine I want, options I want, and nothing I don't want. We just replaced my wife's SUV with a Chevy Silverado 1500. Ordered it on January 5, arrived April 30. Exactly as we wanted it. In the past I would settle for a vehicle that was on the lot that came closest to my wish list. Now I get everything on my wish list.
I'm surprised they let you order one. Every time that I've gone through the process it end with "Enter zip code so we can find one at your local dealer." It then comes up with "Similar Trucks" which may or may not be similar.