Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn?

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #41  
That JD 430 is ancient, you can buy parts for it from a website out of Hobert Indiana, tractorsalesandparts.com, has hundreds of old JD mowers,I own a X758 that's almost that heavy very reliable lawn tractor for my extremely steep back yard, the diesel helps slow it down going down the hill, diesel keeps from dealing with that annoying gas with ethanol present unless you but it without it added, over 6 dollars at present, the diesel goes further on a gallon, neighbor has an older zero turn Ferris that's been real reliable,a bit pricey, that has suspension system like a car and a bad ass Caterpillar engine on the back not sure if it's still available, check there website.

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #42  
I had a JD 425 all wheel steer. I hated that thing. Way too many moving parts (and each too expensive) for mowing grass and the all wheel steer dug ruts in around my trees. The deck was too shallow to cut nicely. It bogged down terribly in tall grass.

I switched to Country Clipper air cooled ZTR. No it will not last as long, but I can buy about 4 of them for the same price and have a lot less work in mainentance. I don't feel as bad about abusing it either (I rolled the first one twice and this one once). I really like the joystick control as well.

Yes, keeping gasoline is a pain in the butt.
We've got a 60" country clipper with the joystick also. Wife uses that for trimming while I pull the 12 ft. with the diesel tractor for the big part.
Finally got 3/4 inch of rain last night so I guess we will mow again. Now it's 95 with 70% humidity. I don't like it

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn?
Some dude here has a Gravely Proturn 160 that retails for around 10.5K, and he's trying to sell it for 6.5. Says it's a 2018 with 191 hours.

I have no idea whether that's a low figure or not. People say the JD 430 is young at 2000 hours, but for all its horrible faults, it's a real tractor, not a gas-powered lawnmower.

I was all excited when I saw the ad. Then I looked at other used zero turns on the web, and it seems like the value CRATERS after the first year.

A couple of years back, people were paying 3K for tractors like mine. I think those days are gone forever.

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn?
Here is a great example of the things John Deere pulls to make me want to avoid its products forever.

When it looked like my alternator was dead, I looked for a new one. List price from JD: ~$500.

Today I looked around and found the same alternator, brand new, made by Denso (the maker of the OEM part) for $150, shipped. And a site called maniacelectricmotors.com sells every part of the alternator.

Deere vendors charge well over a hundred dollars for a voltage regulator, and I've seen it listed for $200. As a Denso part, it costs $20.

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #45  
Not only John Deere. Needed a glow plug for a Ford 1900 tractor. Went to the dealership and they wanted $40. Kid at the parts counter said it would be cheaper at a parts store. Parts store had one for me the next day for $6.50 and it was same brand as dealer's.

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #46  
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I have a John Deere 430 garden tractor with a 60" deck, and I am sick of it. It seems like I spend more time repairing it than using it, and John Deere is a real jerk about parts. My alternator is a great example. It looks like I need a new one, and they run about $500.

I don't need a garden tractor. I have a real tractor. I'm thinking I should dump the 430 on some sucker, I mean John Deere fan, and get a zero-turn.

So who makes a good diesel zero-turn that will last forever and give me 60" of width?

I can tell you some features I would like.

1. Not having to pay 5 times what parts are worth or dealing with a company that doesn't supply parts for older machines *cough cough John Deere*.

2. Oil changes that don't require removing an extremely stubborn 340-pound deck or dealing with a messy external oil-sucking machine.

3. Hydraulic cylinders, if any, that aren't welded shut like certain those made by *cough cough John Deere* certain companies.

4. Not needing 3 sizes of wrench to do simple things like adjusting a fan belt.

5. Not having to take the entire machine apart to change a fan belt.

6. A muffler that doesn't cost $250.

7. A total weight somewhere under 1500 pounds, unlike a certain garden tractor I have.

8. Blades that will cut bahia instead of just knocking it over so it can come back up after I pass.

9. Mulching that actually works. On live oak and water oak leaves. Not just on paper-thin leaves that blow away in a slight breeze.

10. Doesn't have the words "John" or "Deere" anywhere on it, nor any green paint.

If your blood runs green, don't bother telling me off. There is no point in making me suffer, because this tractor and the company that made it punish me more than you could every day.
I believe any commercial grade zero turn will fit your needs.
For Bahia grass I have to go slower than usual.
I have a 60" Toro Titan HD 2000 that I bought 4 yrs ago.
I use a mower high lift to change blades.

750 lb mover lift

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #47  
My ZD1211 has it's own front end lift built in to it. Just crank it up, change the blades and crank it down. Also has a selectable floating front end. It ain't 10K though.

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #48  
A diesel probably doesn’t pencil out in the green for most homeowners but they can fuel them off their bulk diesel tank without the hassle of buying gas in 5 gallon cans, a diesel mower burns half the fuel of a gas burner and a commercial mower transmission and deck will outlast the gas engine. Diesel also last better. You can use it and forget about it without the problems ethanol gas causes. I’m not saying a the average homeowner should buy a diesel mower. They probably shouldn’t unless they just want to buy a quality product that last a lifetime because it would take a long time for a diesel mower to come out ahead.

It does pencil out in my case:

I buy lot of off-road Diesel fuel when the price is down like the last time I did, it was about $1.50 a gallon.
We are now using that fuel and will be for the next several years.

It's easy to store and stays good a very long time if stored properly and Biobor JF, or similar added.

Yes it takes a little planning ahead, 12 V fuel pump etc. but its well worth it in the long run.

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #49  
My ZD1211 has it's own front end lift built in to it. Just crank it up, change the blades and crank it down. Also has a selectable floating front end. It ain't 10K though.
I wish all zero turns had the crank at the front to help change the blades.
But MSRP for the ZD1211 is about $19K. I would definitely get one if I made money cutting yards.

/ Who Makes a Trouble-Free 60" Diesel Zero-Turn? #50  
On my Grasshopper, I push a toggle and the deck powers right up, so it's easy to change the blades or clean the underside of the deck. Then push the toggle the other way, and it powers the deck back down.

SR