Towing 6 ton dump trailer with 6065

/ Towing 6 ton dump trailer with 6065 #1  

MSFBruce

Tractor
Kubota 2850, Mahindra 6065, Bobcat 963
I thinking of towing my dump trailer with the 6065 to where I'm working (installing a new road). There are some pretty step hills. Would I need a brake controller like I have in my truck?
--Bruce

/ Towing 6 ton dump trailer with 6065 #2  
You could probably use a toggle switch for the brakes so you can shut that contraption down completely if you need to. Kinda like a brake away kit does. We have never used one with brakes, but I have seen where it would be handy to have some sort of brakes.

/ Towing 6 ton dump trailer with 6065 #3  
If I was towing your 6 ton dump trailer with your tractor on steep hills I would definitely use a brake controller. 12K behind your tractor could easily push you down a hill which can cause a loss of control just as it could going up hill if you lose traction.

/ Towing 6 ton dump trailer with 6065 #4  
While it is probably not mandatory, I would expect things to work better if it did have brake control. You’re talking about a bunch of weight, close to the tractors weight. And if you overload it any, the tractor weight on the trailer.

I’m of the opinion that if they put brakes on the trailer, they increased the cost for a reason. And, it makes sense to use them.

/ Towing 6 ton dump trailer with 6065 #5  
Is your Mahindra 6065 2-WD or 4-WD?

Mahindra 6065 Dimensions​

Mahindra 6065 Weight
ROPS 2WD :6096 lbs
2765 kg
ROPS 4WD :6746 lbs
3059 kg
Cab 4WD :7495 lbs
3399 kg

What is the empty weight of your dump trailer?

What is the weight capacity of your dump trailer?

Do you foresee pulling the dump trailer loaded?

Last edited:
   / Towing 6 ton dump trailer with 6065 #6  
If I were thinking of pulling that trailer with a load on it I would want the brakes working.

/ Towing 6 ton dump trailer with 6065
Sorry for not replying earlier - been away.

Jeff: CAB 4WD. Empty weight is between 2Klb and 3Klb - depends if the ramps are in it or not (and how many shovels I have in the tool tray). GVW of trailer is 12Klb. Yes - I will be pulling it loaded - mostly with sand and gravel; sometimes riprap.