Does Grease go bad and Is this still good to use?

/ Does Grease go bad and Is this still good to use? #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
My dad's garage is/was full of amazing relics of the past. 2 examples of this are these 2 5 lb. cans of grease that are more than 3/4 full. The one on the left Texaco Regal Starfac 2 hasn't been made since 1970 and the one on the right Lubriplate 630-AA is still in production but I think this can is pretty old. I am sure both of them are close to 30 years old.

My question is if the grease in these cans still good? The starfac 2 looks brand new, the 630-AA has a tiny bit of liquid separation, but not bad at all. I think they both seem very usable. Would you use 30 year old grease?

My next question, does anyone know anything about the Starfac?
KIMG0266.JPG

/ Does Grease go bad and Is this still good to use? #4  
HawkinsHollow,

The grease should still be useful at its original properties since you indicate only small amounts of separation has occurred ( little bit of liquid on top ). Grease generally does not go bad UNLESS it has been exposed to heat high enough to create extensive stratification or higher heat causing breakdown which is evidenced by stratification and a general inability to remix.

I suggest you mix each thoroughly and use as intended after looking up each of their applications and properties.

I suggest you google Texaco Regal Starfak 2 and you should find a description of its intended use, possibly properties and a cross reference to equivalent greases.

I have a drum of "steam cylinder oil" that is 75 years old and its intended properties are still present. I use as recommended on a 1930 car.

ps. there is a significant market for these "old" historical cans and products.

Last edited:
   / Does Grease go bad and Is this still good to use? #5  
Sure are. I happened to buy 2 full cases of Valvoline motor oil in old style metal topped cans and sold them on flea bay as single cans and made 10 times what I paid for them and I emptied them from the bottom with a small hole (and used the motor oil in my lawnmowers). Winn win for me. People collect the strangest stuff.

/ Does Grease go bad and Is this still good to use? #6  
If its a million years old I might think iis
not usable but other wise I would use it
with no problems

willy

/ Does Grease go bad and Is this still good to use? #7  
I’m not sure about grease, but as far as oil is concerned the new stuff is much better from a lubrication standpoint than the old stuff due to the additives that keep it from breaking down due to heat cycles.

/ Does Grease go bad and Is this still good to use? #8  
Anything pumped out of a oil well, has been chemically altered into different material for our use. Find some crude and try using it was bearing grease, or put some in your lawnmowers fuel tank and you'll find it's quite different. :censored:

Last edited:
   / Does Grease go bad and Is this still good to use? #9  
I suppose it depends on the 'grease'. Bacon grease will certainly go bad. :)

/ Does Grease go bad and Is this still good to use?
I’m not sure about grease, but as far as oil is concerned the new stuff is much better from a lubrication standpoint than the old stuff due to the additives that keep it from breaking down due to heat cycles.
Yeah, that was my next question. How much better is the new stuff than this stuff made in the 60's or 70's? I imagine it is a notch or 2 better due to constant improvement in lubrication technology. I have some old metal can quarts of oil I found as well and yes I would never put that in anything.