TYM T293 Lost Power After 20 Minutes Run time

/ TYM T293 Lost Power After 20 Minutes Run time #1  

kenb1023

Silver Member
Tractor
2019 Cub Cadet XT1 and 2010 TYM T293
I was brush hogging my back field and the engine started to lose power and RPM. I limped back to the house and looked at the air filter, it was clean. Looked at the fuel filter and it looked dirty. When the new filter came in 2 days latter I pulled the old fuel filter and it was very very dirty with some water in the bowl. I replaced it with the new one. The diagram shows a spring that is at the bottom of the filter bowl but mine did not have one in there. I double checked. Started back up and it seemed to run fine. Ran the brush hog for about 20 minutes and it started to loose power again. What should I be looking at next? If I stop the RPMs come back up but just can't keep the RPMs up under load. It does seem to run a little ruff at low idle. Temps are normal. Trans fluid level is normal. I am not a diesel mechanic so I am at a loss.

/ TYM T293 Lost Power After 20 Minutes Run time #2  
When it starts loosing power and RPM, try pull the fuel tank cap out and see if it changes anything. Sometimes the vent on the cap will plug and cause similar symptoms.

/ TYM T293 Lost Power After 20 Minutes Run time
Never thought of that but I know that is a trick on some gas cars. Thanks for the tip. The tank is down to a 1/4 tank.

/ TYM T293 Lost Power After 20 Minutes Run time #4  
Never thought of that but I know that is a trick on some gas cars. Thanks for the tip. The tank is down to a 1/4 tank.

If you have water in the bowl then you have water in the tank. Diesel with water in it is never a good thing. Usually you have to empty and clean the tank, lines and fuel filter. Then purge the water from the injector pump and the injector lines. Best is to loosen the lines at the injectors and let the water out after you have made sure there is no more water in the rest of the system. Not sure which injection pump you have, but some do not survive water in the fuel for very long.

Hope this helps!!

I purged about a quart of fuel from the fuel line and there was no water in what I purged out. So hope that is all there was. I did do the open the fuel cap trick and it actually helped a lot. Took the cap apart and it was a bit dirty and had moisture in the foam inside the cap. Blew out the moisture and cleaned cap. Will see how she runs today. Fuel Tank is now full.

Last edited:
   / TYM T293 Lost Power After 20 Minutes Run time #6  
I purged about a quart of fuel from the fuel line and there was no water in what I purged out. So hope that is all there was. I did do the open the fuel cap trick and it actually helped a lot. Took the cap apart and it was a bit dirty and had moisture in the foam inside the cap. Blew out the moisture and cleaned cap. Will see how she runs today. Thank is now full.

Please let us know how it goes.

Well it still is doing it. This time it was 30 minutes into brush hogging. Frustrating.

/ TYM T293 Lost Power After 20 Minutes Run time #8  
Electric lift pump could be goin' bad. Have had a couple lately that didn't fail completely but would quit working after half an hour or so.

Is there a way to test it? I know it turns on because I can hear it making the same noise it has for years. It is 12 years old by the way.

Looked up the fuel pump, $200. That is crazy