Boomer 3045 Water Pump - Overheating

/ Boomer 3045 Water Pump - Overheating #1  

choirnot

Tractor
NH 3045
I recently noticed the needle on the temperature gauge creeping up while doing any type of work with the tractor. If I let it idle after using it for light duty work, the needle settles above the mid point. And the needle will get perilously close the white demarcation line just before the red area of the gauge if continuously use it for more than 30 minutes.

The belt squeals like a cat stuck in a lawn mower on startup for a good 15 seconds. And the sound appears to be coming from the water pump pulley. I checked the belt tension and it appears to be fine. I took the belt off and inspected the alternator which spins freely without any apparent noise or issue. The fan also spins freely however, should I not feel some resistance to the water pump's impeller when spinning the fan? The service manual doesn't show any type of clutch between the fan and the water pump.

I'm ready to order a new water pump (and belt) but I feel like I'm just throwing parts at the issue without a complete understand of what is going on.

I'd like to hear what other, more knowledgeable owners think of the issue.

thank you

/ Boomer 3045 Water Pump - Overheating #2  
Maybe try tightening the belt first and see if that helps.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Boomer 3045 Water Pump - Overheating #3  
before anything else make sure your radiator is not plugged with derbies reducing heat transfer. I brush mine dry with nylon bristle brush. I then use leaf blower to blow the dust off from both side of radiator if you can and at the end use garden hose and high pressure spout (not pressure washer) and hose the radiator fins good.

Remove the belt and turn the fan wheel by hand slowly and feel for a resistance there. You can also use an stethoscope and listen to the bearing for grinding noise. based on that you can determine what to do.

Last edited:
   / Boomer 3045 Water Pump - Overheating #4  
How many hours are on your tractor?

/ Boomer 3045 Water Pump - Overheating
I took a better look today and here is what I found. The coolant level was a tad low which I didn't notice yesterday as it may have still been warm when I looked. I'll run it again today to see if the overheating was caused by this. I also did a better job of cleaning the radiator fins with a hose as suggested above. I usually blast it with my compressor every few hours.

The noise on startup isn't the belt or the water pump after all; it's the alternator. If I slowly rotate it by hand, it remains silent. However, if I spin it really fast, it screams like a banshee. I guess the bearings are going on it.

Taking a look at mycnhistore, the alternator is priced at just over 1500 CAD$! And a suitable aftermarket doesn't appear to be available from the usual online source or are just as expensive.I'm going to take it to a rebuilder unless someone has a online source for a new/reman.

fyi - The tractor has 3450 hours. I purchased it at 2700 hours 2 years ago. It had a rough previous life although it was well maintained in a fleet for snow removal. It now serves as my snowblower/land clearing/wood hauler/sawmill forklift.

thanks again

/ Boomer 3045 Water Pump - Overheating #6  
Any alternator can be rebuilt by any alternator repair shop, water pumps not so much. If the sealed bearings in the pump are going, the seal usually starts leaking and that will show below the pump as tracks from leaking coolant. I believe replace the water pump but don't give into the call of buying a cheapo Chineseum made one as some don't fit correctly. $1500 Cn is highway robbery when you can get it rebuilt for maybe 1/4th of that.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Boomer 3045 Water Pump - Overheating #7  
Taking a look at mycnhistore, the alternator is priced at just over 1500 CAD$! And a suitable aftermarket doesn't appear to be available from the usual online source or are just as expensive.I'm going to take it to a rebuilder unless someone has a online source for a new/reman.
How about $105 (US)?

/ Boomer 3045 Water Pump - Overheating #8  
Bet it's less expensive to get it rebuilt. In reality there is little inside to fail. The diode trio or the exciter brushes or the shaft bearings, all easily renewed.

/ Boomer 3045 Water Pump - Overheating
How about $105 (US)?

dang that's quite a bit cheaper. The part number doesn't match although it does look like it is correct.

Quick edit. The 3045 version is 70 amps while the TC45 is 40 amps.

/ Boomer 3045 Water Pump - Overheating #10  
In reality alternators are generic other than connections output and mounting hole location and sized different as the output increases. So long as the mounting holes match and the output and hookup is similar, you should be good to go.