New Pioneer 520 Arrived

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #81  
Where it mentions: ...Automotive-style automatic transmission with hydraulic torque converter, three forward gears and Reverse. Three drive modes include 2WD, 4WD and 4WD with Differential lock. AT/MT modes with paddle shifting on the deluxe models.... ?

It is confusing but I was told: 2WD = powered by the two locked rear wheels, 4WD adds the front, 4WD Lock locks the front differential.

That is exactly what I thought and have experienced with on a few other atvs. Ex. 2wd both
Rears will spin 4wd both rears and one front spins, diff lock all four wheels spin.

Well, I had not realized that at all. I guess that explains why some ATVs offer a "Turf Mode" (i.e. 1 wheel drive): it's less expensive/less complicated than putting in a rear differential, which would make Turf Mode unnecessary.

I just downloaded and looked through the P700 manual here is the explanation of 4WD Diff Lock:
4WD Diff Lock - This mode supplies power to the front and rear wheels, and locks the front differential. As a result, steering will require extra space and effort. Select this mode for maximum traction

To the OP - sorry for the topic drift. I am interested in hearng more about how your Honda Pioneer 520 handles in poor traction situations as well as on the lawn.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived
...I guess that explains why some ATVs offer a "Turf Mode" (i.e. 1 wheel drive): it's less expensive/less complicated than putting in a rear differential....
On SxS's that utilize a locking rear diff, some refer to the open or unlocked setting as "Turf mode" because it's gentle on your yard.
The only times my P520 has lacked enough traction were once when high centered, and once in a deep snow drift, the only thing that would have helped would be more ground clearance, and I've since replaced the stock 24" wheels/tires with 26" which helps some. This thing's a little goat though it'll go almost anywhere. On lawns I have to be careful not to turn very sharply or it will skid up the grass.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #83  
I assume most owners won’t be taking their 500/520 UTV’s on the street but, I do take mine on the road while heading over to neighbors homes or jumping trails in my area and because of that, I added the TurnPro kit and rear view mirrors to my 520;
601E0590-FAA2-4971-994C-811FFFC8E598.jpeg

Turn signals;
BCC030D3-1BC4-4354-92DD-8A4F8B8DFCF5.jpeg

License plate & bracket mounted on the roll protection between the seats;
F004C871-6017-4EDA-AD8E-D853595B4EC8.jpeg

Turn signal, hazard and horn switches mounted in dashboard.

Pretty cool plug-n-play setup!

Mike

Last edited:
   / New Pioneer 520 Arrived #85  
I’m considering adding taller tires. I’m not looking for mud tires since most of my driving is around the property and on trails. I’d like to get 27’s or maybe 28’s if they’d fit. However, I would like to maintain the width if at all possible. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mike

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #86  
I have had Terrabites for about 3 years now and am very happy with them.
I do not go on trails. Mostly gravel, dirt, and grass. these are 27 x 11 x 14s with ATI wheels on a 700-4
Rare use pushing snow with a plow but worked well with snow/ice mix.
DOT approved if that matters to you. Guessing you can get them in 12" wide if that is stock for a 520.

It was very popular for SXS owners to put a lot bigger tires on small wheels but with low inflation, they were popping them off the rims on hard impacts in rough terrain. So watch out for old info online that may send you in the wrong direction.

I think 27s work fine on 12" rims (I think that is stock?) but that's me. good luck.

sxs tires.jpg

Last edited:
   / New Pioneer 520 Arrived #87  
You have a couple of options - one is wheel spacers for a little width or new rims with more offset. The little Pioneers get a little tippy as you raise them up since they are already sort of narrow. Also, don't forget the larger tire start to up your gearing so you will notice a power decrease. I wouldn't go over 27" tires personally, 28's are big tires for small machines. I think I had 26's on this machine and the attached is the tipping point.

Attachments

• honda - 1.jpeg
    honda - 1.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 82
  • honda - 2.jpeg
    honda - 2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
   / New Pioneer 520 Arrived #88  
BTW,

I keep this link handy for my SXS. I may or may not buy tires from them but a good resource for specs and options

1660578676800.png

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #89  
Bought a set of kenda bearclaws for my 500 pioneer, 6 years ago couldn't be happier they wear nice and I've never had a flat. they are 27s on 14" rims one thing I considered is 14" rims open a door for many more tire options for future use.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #90  
Thanks for the info guys!
I won't go over 27"!

I'm curious, do the larger wheels/tires help with ride quality?

Mike