New Pioneer 520 Arrived

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #91  
Thanks for the info guys!
I won't go over 27"!

I'm curious, do the larger wheels/tires help with ride quality?

Mike

If I am buying wheels, then I am going up to 14". I would not buy wheels just to go to 14" for ride's sake.
If you are buying wheels, then sure. Going to 14's open for more options. To many, it looks a bit better.

I try to think about extremes when facing questions like this. Think of a 5" tire going over a 6" pothole vs. a 20" tire. Again, 14" is an improvement but marginal.

The other issue is tire size vs. wheel size. This affects the width of your sidewall. If you are in rough terrain and moving slowly, you might have 6 lbs of air to improve the ride. A bigger side wall might work up to a point. If you are taking curves at 40 mph, wide sidewalls on 3 ply tires would make you feel like you are about to roll over. A few years ago, it got popular to just get the biggest tire possible without paying for larger wheels. That combination with really low air pressure out on the trails resulted in tires popping off the rim. That cost people a lot of money to change both tires and wheels. that is why I say to watch recommendations that are a few years old.

Lots of great options and in reality, whatever you have can work. I would just avoid going extreme in any of it. Knowing what kind of driving you do can help you optimize the ride.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #92  
Thanks for the info guys!
I won't go over 27"!

I'm curious, do the larger wheels/tires help with ride quality?

Mike
Yes much better than the stock tires imo.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #93  
If I am buying wheels, then I am going up to 14". I would not buy wheels just to go to 14" for ride's sake.
If you are buying wheels, then sure. Going to 14's open for more options. To many, it looks a bit better.

I try to think about extremes when facing questions like this. Think of a 5" tire going over a 6" pothole vs. a 20" tire. Again, 14" is an improvement but marginal.

The other issue is tire size vs. wheel size. This affects the width of your sidewall. If you are in rough terrain and moving slowly, you might have 6 lbs of air to improve the ride. A bigger side wall might work up to a point. If you are taking curves at 40 mph, wide sidewalls on 3 ply tires would make you feel like you are about to roll over. A few years ago, it got popular to just get the biggest tire possible without paying for larger wheels. That combination with really low air pressure out on the trails resulted in tires popping off the rim. That cost people a lot of money to change both tires and wheels. that is why I say to watch recommendations that are a few years old.

Lots of great options and in reality, whatever you have can work. I would just avoid going extreme in any of it. Knowing what kind of driving you do can help you optimize the ride.

I'm going with 14's for sure....26-27 inch tires.

Now, do I have to stagger the tire sizes?
Or, can I just go with 14x7 wheels and a 27x9-14 all the way around?

Mike

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #94  
I'm going with 14's for sure....26-27 inch tires.

Now, do I have to stagger the tire sizes?
Or, can I just go with 14x7 wheels and a 27x9-14 all the way around?

Mike

If you are going stick with staggering like the OEMs, I doubt you would have an issue.
When you go a lot bigger, then rubbing comes into play when turning the front tires so keep that in mind- but again, I don't think you are being too aggressive.

If you want to have the ability to rotate them or change the stance a bit by using the same wheel size, I would go to hondasxs.com and poke around there. Whatever can be done with a 500 or 520, has been done and posted there. Helpful group. Beware, they like to spend your money but good group of guys,

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #95  
Check out www.HondaSxS.com when you have a few minutes - the 500 forum will give you TONS of info on the machine/tires/wheels/maintenance/etc...

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #96  
^^^^
I'll have to register...it won't let me read any threads without logging in.

Mike

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #97  
^^^^
I'll have to register...it won't let me read any threads without logging in.

Mike
It will be worth it.

I learned to adjust the valves using them. Good to learn what does and doesn't work well at others expense.

Last edited:
   / New Pioneer 520 Arrived #98  
It will be worth it.

I learned to adjust the valves using them. Good to learn what does and doesn't work well at others expense.
I have to ask - did you learn to adjust the valves from the post by Code54 on HondaSxS? I am hoping you say yes because it means the post and photos helped someone!

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #99  
I have to ask - did you learn to adjust the valves from the post by Code54 on HondaSxS? I am hoping you say yes because it means the post and photos helped someone!
Hey, Yep that is one that I looked at.

So thank you very much.

Not too difficult to do but I would not have tried it without the assist. 😊

Lots of good guys and good info there-just like here.
I was expensive though to see all the add-ons and options.
I think the SXS was the downpayment for all the accessories I added over the first couple of years.

Great to meet up here and thanks again.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #100  
Lol - yes, they can get expensive quickly!

I am glad to know it is helping people do it themselves and save some hard-earned money. Feel free to hit me up on either site if you think I can help!