Electric vehicles during a disaster

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #11  
I was listening to the radio today. An interesting topic came up. How would the people in Florida evacuate for hurricane in electric vehicles. it wouldn’t take much for the charging stations to be overwhelmed leaving thousands of motorists stranded as the storm approached.

The second part of the problem would be how do you function without a power grid to charge your electric vehicles. As of now I’ve seen the gas stations bring in generators to run the gas pumps. I don’t think there’s enough generators to recharge all the cars.

I then got to thinking about up north in the winter time and an ice storm/snow storm could also disable the power grid for a long time. One could also add in the problems with tornadoes and floods.

I thought it was an interesting question for all the greenies out there.
It's elemental my dear doctor Watson, all's you gotta do is bust out the generator, backfeed your electrical panel with it...so that you could plug your electric car into the outlet.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #13  
I don't think that anyone thinks EV's service every need yet. I don't think I would have only an EV if I was in a evacuation area for hurricanes.

A friend who lives locally has an EV that he charges with a solar setup and it functions well enough to do so all year round. It is, of course, significantly more efficient in the summer. He was very happy with his setup during last year's gas shortage.

I have seriously been considering an EV that had enough range to get my to work and back. The car I currently do that in will probably not make it much longer. It would never be my only option, but now I am wondering how much propane it would take for my generator to charge it if necessary.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #14  
I think they should focus on hybrid technology to reduce the fuel consumption, not EV. They do need to solve the battery life and replacement issue though. It is just starting to get real for those who bought EVs a few years ago. Look for that problem to get worse and if they don't solve it, it will bring the EV market to a screeching halt as word of mouth gets out about that.

Because you know your not going to hear about that problem in the media unless you are listening to one of the very few truthful news outlets. You can figure that out for yourself : )

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #15  
But then, you have people that haul gasoline in shopping bags.........

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #16  
I think they should focus on hybrid technology to reduce the fuel consumption, not EV. They do need to solve the battery life and replacement issue though. It is just starting to get real for those who bought EVs a few years ago. Look for that problem to get worse and if they don't solve it, it will bring the EV market to a screeching halt as word of mouth gets out about that.

Because you know your not going to hear about that problem in the media unless you are listening to one of the very few truthful news outlets. You can figure that out for yourself : )
Just like the phone batteries. So far battery life hasn't been an issue because most people don't keep their phone past the last few generations. I have the original Iphone SE. It's 6 years old, and the battery was replaced a few years ago. It's starting to show lowered battery capacity again.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #17  
Wonder what happens to those lithium battery cars when they get submerged in flood water?

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #18  
I was listening to the radio today. An interesting topic came up. How would the people in Florida evacuate for hurricane in electric vehicles. it wouldn’t take much for the charging stations to be overwhelmed leaving thousands of motorists stranded as the storm approached.

The second part of the problem would be how do you function without a power grid to charge your electric vehicles. As of now I’ve seen the gas stations bring in generators to run the gas pumps. I don’t think there’s enough generators to recharge all the cars.

I then got to thinking about up north in the winter time and an ice storm/snow storm could also disable the power grid for a long time. One could also add in the problems with tornadoes and floods.

I thought it was an interesting question for all the greenies out there.
I live near Hwy 290, about 100 miles inland from Houston Texas. 290 is a mass exodus route from Houston, it is stupid grid locked for 150 miles all the way from Houston to Austin. So traffic is not flowing, stop and go, bumper to bumper. They have the national guard trying to help stranded motorists. Gonna be bad when the next one hits. There is a charging station in our town, I believe 6 cars at a time can charge. With hundreds of thousands on the roads, I'd hate to wait in that line.

Also the cell phone system quits working, or slows down so bad, you might can only get a short text message through.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #19  
I don't think that anyone thinks EV's service every need yet. I don't think I would have only an EV if I was in a evacuation area for hurricanes.

A friend who lives locally has an EV that he charges with a solar setup and it functions well enough to do so all year round. It is, of course, significantly more efficient in the summer. He was very happy with his setup during last year's gas shortage.

I have seriously been considering an EV that had enough range to get my to work and back. The car I currently do that in will probably not make it much longer. It would never be my only option, but now I am wondering how much propane it would take for my generator to charge it if necessary.
I'm not an electrical "wizz", but I thought that charging was a 50 amp load or better. Wouldn't that take a 20 - 30 kW generator just for charging the EV, not to mention the house basic needs?

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #20  

Yes, how did they just skip over this very reasonable option until they actually design a real live unicorn (battery).;)