Why no Ecoboost in the F250?

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #11  
I always wonder why big trucks and equipment use inline 6 turbo diesel... and what trucks are available with similar architecture. There is a reason

Tractors 2. Does a big articulated machine come with a small displacement gas turbo motor

Or a big straight 6 with a turbo

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #12  
From what I recall, they ran one for testing purposes only, and while it could make "enough" power for a basic truck, the mpg economy was actually worse. If you run a turbo ecoboost engine in full boost, or near full boost mode most of the time (to drive around the larger, heavier truck chassis), the mpg will actually work out to be less than the "traditional" V8 (6.2 or 7.3 gas).

And for the guys that do work their 250/350 trucks hard, the poor little "hair dried" ecoboost suffered premature failures, complaints of poor power, and for a truck engine, where you typically want your power band on the low side of the rpm range, you had to "scream" the little ecoboost (rev it at high rpm) for it to make the power to get work done.

Overall, not a harmonious engine package for a truck that was designed to work for a living.

I have one of the first F150 ecoboosts, peak torque is 2500 RPM, I've never had it turning more than 3000 RPM pulling the same loads (much faster) than my diesel F250 did.

Not sure what this screaming you refer to is.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #13  
I think it come down to corporate fuel economy standards more than anything. An Ecoboost type engine is complicated and expensive to produce. A big old pushrod V8 is not. Why make an expense engine when a simple one will do. and since the CAFE standards apply only up to 8600 gvwr vehicles (I think??), then it doesn't hurt the corporate average. Not only that, but your buying audience is more likely to appreciate that simple workhorse engine that they feel like they can "work on".

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #14  
Yes, a turbo has a bunch of low rpm grunt and would seem a sure fit to have in a heavier tow vehicle. But, maybe they are not as durable for the long haul when they are running high boost pressures mile after mile towing up grades. I would assume they would need a thicker block, head, and head studs to handle the pressures. Also, a cooling system to handle the heat. If the design needs to be almost diesel like, why not just go with the diesel?

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #15  
Marketing and profit margins only Ford knows and keeps close to the vest.

Is anybody surprised?

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #16  
I always wonder why big trucks and equipment use inline 6 turbo diesel... and what trucks are available with similar architecture. There is a reason

Tractors 2. Does a big articulated machine come with a small displacement gas turbo motor

Or a big straight 6 with a turbo

An I6 motor is stronger than a V8 motor for the main reason every piston rod is supported with bearing on both sides. An I6 motor will produce better torque than a V8 and the I6 is self balancing. It’s not by accident that virtually every industrial motor is inline.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #17  
An I6 motor is stronger than a V8 motor for the main reason every piston rod is supported with bearing on both sides. An I6 motor will produce better torque than a V8 and the I6 is self balancing. It’s not by accident that virtually every industrial motor is inline.

Exactly, Which is why i dont understand companies building trucks for towing and not using the industry "standard" architecture.

There is a long list of reasons to go i6 vs V shape. You can almost rebuild an i6 in a truck vs modern V8 diesels require the cabs lifted to do the most mundane of tasks.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #19  
Yes, a turbo has a bunch of low rpm grunt and would seem a sure fit to have in a heavier tow vehicle. But, maybe they are not as durable for the long haul when they are running high boost pressures mile after mile towing up grades. I would assume they would need a thicker block, head, and head studs to handle the pressures. Also, a cooling system to handle the heat. If the design needs to be almost diesel like, why not just go with the diesel?
Because diesel engines require an after treatment system for the exhaust that is very expensive and adds complexity and unreliability.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #20  
They also have less moving parts, are cheaper to build, cheaper to rebuild and cheaper to maintain.