Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,612  
I hate to break in the middle of a thread but I have a question about a particular vehicle.

Has anybody bought, driven, know of somebody who has the Hyundai Ioniq 5 SUV?

My idea for an electric is a vehicle I would use for short trips such as five miles to grocery and back. Or the eighty miles from my house to the nearest mall, then to oldest daughters house, then to youngest daughters, and finally back home. Each leg of this circular trip is about twenty miles. The small Hyundai SUV could make the trip twice without recharging and still have range left. Or from my house to Nashville TN, do a partial recharge, and make it home with range to spare. I believe the drivetrain, including battery, is covered by the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty.

Based on my son-in-law's experience with his Tesla's energy consumption and the cheap TVA power we have here I think the savings would come close to paying for the vehicle over ten years. Price listed is from slightly under $40,000 up to $45,000.

My initial planning is to trade the 2018 Highlander in on the Hyundai and my 2014 F150 on a four-door pickup for trips, towing the trailers, etc..

My new vehicle purchases usually take a couple years of planning.

Thanks for any info.

RSKY

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,613  
Longer term with recycling should decrease mining demands.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,614  
The question of range has been made moot. The question is...can you charge while you are driving?
1662651247812.png

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,615  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,616  
The question of range has been made moot. The question is...can you charge while you are driving?
View attachment 761561

Then its full circle, just buy a hybrid. Getting whacked in a rear end collision would be an EV Ford Pinto ordeal.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,617  
View attachment 761561
On our Leaf you can NOT move when charging. Toyota plug in Prime hybrids can charge themselves while driving but pure EV range Prius/RAV4 are only 25/40 miles.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,619  
Battery cars may move power around.

From Insideevs.com:

"Fermata Energy, a leader in Vehicle-to-Everything (V2X) services, notes that its product has been officially verified as compatible with the Nissan Leaf." (Steven Loveday)

UL9741 listing approves this for bi-directional use.
With the sheer number of EV's in California now and in future projections, this technology applied widely, could store solar, avoid peak power plant use, and avoid power brownouts.

Let's hope all involved can deploy this fairly and quickly,

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,620  
Battery cars may move power around.

From Insideevs.com:

"Fermata Energy, a leader in Vehicle-to-Everything (V2X) services, notes that its product has been officially verified as compatible with the Nissan Leaf." (Steven Loveday)

UL9741 listing approves this for bi-directional use.
With the sheer number of EV's in California now and in future projections, this technology applied widely, could store solar, avoid peak power plant use, and avoid power brownouts.

Let's hope all involved can deploy this fairly and quickly,
I know this isn't what's being said, but the first thing that came to mind was these self driving EVs driving around the state toward brownout areas. "Honey, ah where's the car?"

Last edited: