My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks

/ My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks
The drought ended Thursday afternoon with 5 inches dumped in about 1.5 hours.
Pond full September1, 2022.jpg

That gate in the corner was where I was standing when I took the photo above, when the pond was down 4 feet.
hugs, Brandi

The day before it rained cats and dogs, I took a roadtrip down to Galveston. I was only there for an hour. But it was an hour of history with the Battleship Texas, BB35, coming back to Galveston and drydock after 34 years.
Texas Full Glory August 31, 2022.jpg

Texas Drydock Line Handlers August 31, 2022.jpg
Texas Drydock August 2022.jpg
Texas Dry Drydock.jpg
The first 3 photos were taking from the railing at Fisherman's Wharf in Galveston. The last photo was sent to me and it was taken from Gulf Copper's Shipyard side on Pelican Island.
hugs, Brandi

ducks said that was the best day ever !
The ducks have a blast when the pond overflows. I have broken concrete down stream of the overflow culvert. At the level in the photo, white water is going out the culvert and over the broken concrete. The ducks get in a line and get into the white water to do what I call dumpster diving, as they float with the current. Then they repeat it all. The are a blast to have around.

hugs, Brandi

/ My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks #575  
Neat pictures of the old Texas. Got to tour parts of it a few years ago. Would really be neat to be able to see more of it after the repairs.

I was 6 or 7years old on my first visit. I made sure to get my kids on the Texas before they got much older than that. Luke might have been 12 then. When he enlisted in the navy, he told the recruiter he wanted to be on a Iowa class battleship. The recruiter said we don't have any active Iowas'. To which my son replied............."None active today"!

When we last went, the engine rooms were blocked off. But now I am hearing they are installing lighting in the rooms. So hopefully, in about 1.5 or 2 years, we will be able see more of her. She'll be in drydock 10 to 12 months, then she sails to her new home on the upper Texas coast. I sure hope it is Galveston!

It's not too often you get to see the only WWI and WWII surviving battleship float by. So we plan on making it a family trip to see her come out of drydock next year.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks #577  
Where was the Texas BB35 when Pearl was struck?

Thanks for the photos

Cheers,
Mike

Where was the Texas BB35 when Pearl was struck?

Thanks for the photos

Cheers,
Mike

Texas was in Casco Bay, Maine at that time, preparing to go on another Neutrality Patrol in the North Atlantic, watching for German U-boats.​

hugs, Brandi​