How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #161  
When you restrict the water flow, the pump motor amperage goes down, so you actually are using less power, cause you are pumping less water.
Kinda like when you restrict a vacuum cleaner hose and the motor speeds up, not because it's working harder but because it's got less of a load.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #162  
All these years when I accidentally sucked up my shorts I thought the motor was gonna blow so I yanked the cord!

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #164  
Different parts of the country same thing. But I still burn only wood. Cutting wood early this morning. I burn 15 cords a year. Me and my wife are the workforce. 12 cords done only 3 more to go!
OMG I used to do 8 cord a year mostly by myself. 15 cord is a whole lot of wear and tear on ones back. I'm 63 and now just buy wood cause my back is shot. Bought an antique conveyor to get it up on the deck.

Attachments

• IMG_5783.JPG
    IMG_5783.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 103
  • 20131026_140103.jpg
    20131026_140103.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 87
   / How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #165  
Not quite sure why you must recover it anyway. There shopuld be plenty of standing water level above the pump on the bottom, cannot you just install a new pump in the standing water level and leave the old one in the bottom of the bore. I know on ours, there is 20 feet of water between the bottom and the where the pump is located.
My well is 600ft but they hung the pump at 360. They know the water table levels in the area and the drawdown. It's much cheaper to not hang it at say 550 ft. The deeper you hang it... more pipe, more wire, bigger pump for the added head.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #166  
My well is 600ft but they hung the pump at 360. They know the water table levels in the area and the drawdown. It's much cheaper to not hang it at say 550 ft. The deeper you hang it... more pipe, more wire, bigger pump for the added head.
I had to drill a well 4 years ago because my 100 year old hand dug was not keeping up. At 740' the expense is astronomical. I was waffling on cost but the driller convinced me to go with a freq drive. I have not regretted it one bit and when you observe it in operation it is understandable how it works to prolong pump life and eliminate a lot of issues. My pump is set at 470' because the water came in at 740' but the pump at 470' is still 100' below water level. With an estimated flow of 200 gallon there was no need to keep stacking up pipe and wire. $47000 later I am the first of 5 generations on the farm that has all the water I can pump without worrying about the well running dry.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #167  
I had to drill a well 4 years ago because my 100 year old hand dug was not keeping up. At 740' the expense is astronomical. I was waffling on cost but the driller convinced me to go with a freq drive. I have not regretted it one bit and when you observe it in operation it is understandable how it works to prolong pump life and eliminate a lot of issues. My pump is set at 470' because the water came in at 740' but the pump at 470' is still 100' below water level. With an estimated flow of 200 gallon there was no need to keep stacking up pipe and wire. $47000 later I am the first of 5 generations on the farm that has all the water I can pump without worrying about the well running dry.
Ours was put in 2 years ago. $18,000. 3 wire but not 3 phase. We get sulfur in our water here so we use the old air over water tank to help reduce sulfur smell. No bladder. Having to use a tank kind of negates the 3 phase frequency drive in my case.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #168  
I had to chlorinate due to iron reducing bacteria which creates sulphur gas when it attacks the anode in the water heater. The freq drive turns the pump into a variable speed that allows soft starts and maintains a constant 50 pounds of pressure. This setup is like a Cadillac compared to the old jet pump!

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #169  

'The deeper you hang it... more pipe, more wire, bigger pump for the added head.'

With all due respect - you may want to study pump sizing a little bit more.

Just saying.

Last edited: