Finishing mower blade removal question

/ Finishing mower blade removal question #11  
I’ve always used 1/2 inch drive air impact wrench and a 6 side impact socket never had any trouble getting them off.

/ Finishing mower blade removal question #12  
My Land Pride RCF2072 specs 450 ft-lbs for the 1-11/16" blade nuts. Made this wrench from scrap pipe and a cheap socket. Use a pipe to extend it out to 8' so removal is much easier and tightening to spec is about 56 lbs at the end. Worth the effort it made sharpening the blades much easier.
bladewrench.jpg

/ Finishing mower blade removal question #14  
I've never met a cordless impact with enough balls to break a blade nut on a brush hog or pto finish mower. The just don't have that kind of guts.
Well there are several very powerful cordless impacts that will do that. Check it out. Mine is a Milwaukee with adjustable torque setting. Not Cheap

/ Finishing mower blade removal question #15  
Well there are several very powerful cordless impacts that will do that. Check it out. Mine is a Milwaukee with adjustable torque setting. Not Cheap
When it comes to Milwaukee, nothing is cheap. The issue is, those high torque cordless impacts are way beyond the reach of the average Joe (and you know that).

I prefer air tools myself and I'll put my Thor 1/2" drive impact up against your Milwaukee any day and it cost about 1/4th of yours, both in nut busting power and tool weight.

Torque Test Channel don't lie.

/ Finishing mower blade removal question #16  
Sure I have both. IR 3/4 air impact and 1/2 inch air impacts. Use of the cordless saves on the pulling hoses and I am able to use it away from the compressor. If you don't like those that is fine with me

/ Finishing mower blade removal question #17  
My contribution to this comes late - but I'll bet it's the solution.
Some old time finish mower has reversed threads. That is, to loosen them, turn the nuts clockwise.
Old Chrysler products used to have the lug nuts on one side with same reversed threads, but I can't remember which side it was
Left side had left-hand threads. I remember this even though I'm young enough to have only run into it once. Dad sent me out to get the left front wheel off a van so we could patch the tire. I took the service car and a cross wrench and jack. I could NOT break it loose. I went back to the shop and got the service truck (which had compressed air). Dad's hired help saw me putting the impact wrench in the truck and stopped me. He said "Chrysler?" and then explained it.

/ Finishing mower blade removal question #18  
Sure I have both. IR 3/4 air impact and 1/2 inch air impacts. Use of the cordless saves on the pulling hoses and I am able to use it away from the compressor. If you don't like those that is fine with
Sure I have both. IR 3/4 air impact and 1/2 inch air impacts. Use of the cordless saves on the pulling hoses and I am able to use it away from the compressor. If you don't like those that is fine with me
1400 ft lbs of torque for the Milwaukee cordless works for me

/ Finishing mower blade removal question #19  
I gave my IR Thundergun to a friend when I got the Thor. I also kept my 3/4 drive IR long anvil tank but the Thor handles 99% of my jobs.

Found with the Thor, of it don't break it loose, it twists the shank off. Air power is never an issue, I have a rotary screw compressor and a 300 gallon receiver. I like the screw compressor because one. it's quiet and 2, the refrigerated dryer is built in. Its a Sullaire btw. I did have to go to high flow fittings however. The Thor is an air pig.

/ Finishing mower blade removal question #20  
Left side had left-hand threads. I remember this even though I'm young enough to have only run into it once. Dad sent me out to get the left front wheel off a van so we could patch the tire. I took the service car and a cross wrench and jack. I could NOT break it loose. I went back to the shop and got the service truck (which had compressed air). Dad's hired help saw me putting the impact wrench in the truck and stopped me. He said "Chrysler?" and then explained it.
Actually, Ford 1 ton full floater rear axles are the same deal and many other larger trucks. The bearing pre load nuts can be LH threads or RH threads depending on rotation. Why cheap torque wrenches don't work for me as well. I need torque values in both directions.