Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats....

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #11  
It’s a voluntary at least for now program they signed up for in exchange for a lower utility rate.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #12  
They have a similar program where I live. Except it's a remote to shut off the compressor for the AC unit. Inside fan would still work, but it would just recirculate without cooling.

I chose the no option. We upgraded windows, added insulation to the attic and made sure the attic was ventilated properly. Our unit wouldn't kick on much at all unless you were in and out quite a bit.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #13  
Yeahhhhh, ummm no, I’m not letting some “genius” turn down or off my AC.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #14  
If I had one I'd just toss it and put an old school honeywell mercury bulb in. You can still "salvage" them for free at almost any plumbing supply.
These are only for thermostats the customer allowed the power company to put in and agreed to allow them to do this in exchange for cheaper power. If you were to buy your own smart thermostat and put it in the power company would have no ability or right to control it like that.

We have a "Semi" smart one, in that it has a schedule so you can tell it at 10:00 p.m. drop the temp in the winter and heat back up at 5:00 a.m. or whatever. Thing is a pain in the butt. It never seems to do what I want it to do. We have an old school honeywell upstairs. I am thinking of replacing the downstairs one with one of those. Simple to operate and just works.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #15  
What happens when you sell?

Does the Thermostat power shed agreement terminate?

Local utility paid $25 credit for A/C compressor load shed…

I have been on a few calls compressor not working and it was the utility installed legacy lock out.

Many with A/C only use a few days a year and of course it’s when it’s really hot.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #16  
hese are only for thermostats the customer allowed the power company to put in and agreed to allow them to do this in exchange for cheaper power.
I know and what they just did would make me exit the relationship. There's no amount of cheaper power that would entice me to surrender control like that.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #17  
I know and what they just did would make me exit the relationship. There's no amount of cheaper power that would entice me to surrender control like that.
Oh I totally agree with you. I MIGHT get a smart thermo that I control completely myself but likely not. I have some "smart" outlets that I can control with my phone. It is useful to be able to turn certain things on and off without having to walk all the way out to the barn.... especially in the middle of winter.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #20  
I have a smart t-stat that I can control from my phone but the power company cant.

Our power company does use some type of radio controlled switches for water heaters and HVAC that they can turn off in peak times, but its optional and you have to sign up for it. I think they save $2/mo on the bill. Not worth it IMO.

These people signed up for it....so I have no sympathy.

However, most that probably did are too stupid to bypass it or trick the t-stat. Again, no sympathy.