How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans?

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #161  
Rotary mowing, which is a mainstay of compact tractors, is better done with a hydrostat drive. The engine horsepower can be fully utilized by easily controlling ground speed to match the various cutting conditions. The drawbar horsepower is minimal pulling a rotary mower so very little difference in horsepower requirement between hydro and gear.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #162  
Put the tractor in gear, kill the engine and she won’t move. My tractor will start up that hill in any of the lower 4 gears and you do not slip the clutch. It’s a diesel maybe in a gas tractor you might need to slip it.
Depending on our situations one might be better over the other . . . so we need both.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #163  
Hand throttle and the gear of your choice is all you need on a gear drive
How does that work for you if you have a constant back and forth situation with many turns? o_O

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #164  
One thing I haven’t read is when you’re working on a slope the gear drive will lock your wheels when you have to stop your tractor along with a parking break. An HST does not hold you on a slope and you have to rely on solely the parking break. Really helps if your parking on the hill and leaving your seat a lot like me having to pick up rocks to clear the land for mowing. Mine a Kubota MX5400DT. It has a Shuttle Shift and I find extremely easy to use. And besides as a person who been using a clutch since 12 years old it’s all second nature. Besides with the HST your losing all the fun. I’m extremely happy with the gear drive and saved $2,000. And with HST users you cant miss the power disadvantage if you never worked with the same tractor with a gear drive. And tractors are loud enough without adding that annoying whine of an HST.
Hey. Welcome to TBN. Only because no one has said it yet, did you realize this thread was 2 years old and many of the post you are quoting are from 2020.

I'm a newbie at running a tractor, but my first was a basic gear drive (ford 1700) and I just upgraded to a HST. Cutting the fields is already 5x easier and I can't imagine me being coordinated enough to run a loader with a gear drive. Each has their advantages otherwise you wouldn't need both continuing to be made.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #165  
Hey. Welcome to TBN. Only because no one has said it yet, did you realize this thread was 2 years old and many of the post you are quoting are from 2020.

I'm a newbie at running a tractor, but my first was a basic gear drive (ford 1700) and I just upgraded to a HST. Cutting the fields is already 5x easier and I can't imagine me being coordinated enough to run a loader with a gear drive. Each has their advantages otherwise you wouldn't need both continuing to be made.

The only advantage of a gear drive is it’s cheaper. Unless you live in a country that still uses compact tractors for farming there’s absolutely zero reason besides cost to buy a compact geared trans tractor.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #166  
Any tractor built in the last 20 years or probably longer has a clutch depress interlock to start. And just because it will start in gear doesn’t mean it’s helping the starter motor. You’re making problems where there aren’t any. If you aren’t smart enough to set the parking brake on a HST then you aren’t smart enough to use a clutch either. Better yet don’t park the tractor on a hill. Park across the hill if it can’t be avoided.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #167  
Any tractor built in the last 20 years or probably longer has a clutch depress interlock to start. And just because it will start in gear doesn’t mean it’s helping the starter motor. You’re making problems where there aren’t any. If you aren’t smart enough to set the parking brake on a HST then you aren’t smart enough to use a clutch either. Better yet don’t park the tractor on a hill. Park across the hill if it can’t be avoided.
Of course you set the brake on a hill. You starting the engine normally. Not putting any strain on the starter. Your not slipping the clutch when your taking off. The 54 hp tractor needs no throttle to take off. You do the same on a 10 speed two speed axle bus. Let the clutch out and you go. As far as wear and tear I’m a retired Bus Mechanic and I don’t abuse any machine. You park on a hill because you’re on a hill. Your trying to roll big rocks into the bucket. Rocks roll down the hill not sideways. An HST does not hold the wheels from rolling even with engine off and in gear. But people get what they want and it’s well known the HST loses some power. Even the dealer told me that. I got the DT because I like driving the standard transmission and saved $2,000 to boot. I love my gear drive but obviously it’s not for everybody

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #168  
Hmm, I guess I should stop using my dozer to push things since apparently HST trans can’t do work. View attachment 763453
IF you can figure out how to put THAT whiner tranny.....er hystat in a tinkertoy tractor, it only then will be a good comparison.

SR

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #169  
IF you can figure out how to put THAT whiner tranny.....er hystat in a tinkertoy tractor, it only then will be a good comparison.

SR

I guess I should probably swap the 10 liter diesel that weighs as much as the tinker toy tractor while I’m at it.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #170  
The Kubota will not start in gear. All systems have to be in neutral. That includes the PTO in the off position. If you want to pay $2,000 extra, lose a little power and listen to the HST whine it’s your choice. And if you can’t drive drive a standard transmission go for the HST.