How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans?

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #221  
Here I am, moving some dirt with my geared tractor. Accordingly to the internet myths spread all over, by the end of the video, I should've replaced the clutch, had surgery on my left knee since it was destroyed to death with all the clutch use, oh and technically I could've done the job in the first place since geared tractors are terrible for this type of work? I also run the rototiller with this tractor and according to yet another myth, geared tractors can't run tillers because they won't go slow enough or something silly like that. 🤦‍♂️

You either have a foot throttle or three arms! :)

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #222  
Have some doctor appointments at a local big city hospital. They offer free valet parking so you don’t have to hike 0.5 mile if you park yourself. Valets stay very busy and move 100s of vehicles everyday. When I took my farm truck, 96 dodge, extra cab, 4x4, 5sp, diesel the valets looked at each other. A 18-19? Young girl smiled, gave me ticket and expertly drove the truck away. It’s comical to see some of the Gnarly vehicles the hill folk arrive in. All treated helpfully and respectfully in and out of the hospital. Nice to see young men and women working hard to serve. Know it’s a rare good thing.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #223  
Both transmissions are good and people have their preference but I think most of these readers do not know how to drive a standard shift. When I bought my Kubota the sales woman did tell me that the DT does have more power. And seems a lot of readers think you have to slip the clutch to take off. Mine at idle just let out clutch out in any gear and she goes. Pick the speed you want to work with and select the gear you want. Your not constantly shifting gears like a big rig truck. And a big rig or big bus you also don’t slip the clutch. A gas rig you do slip the clutch just slightly to take off. My case usually in 1-4 low since I’m usually doing ground work. For loader work I can’t see how a HST would be so much better. The Shuttle Shift is fast to switch directions. Putting the clutch in is no harder than taking a step. And I’m 76 years old. The gear drive will hold on a hill in gear with the engine stopped. An HST will not hold on a hill with the engine stopped if it’s in gear. It relies only on the parking break. Of course you would always use the parking break for safety. Also a gear drive on a 25hp tractor it would be to your advantage to use a gear drive since your at the low end of horsepower for a small tractor and want every horsepower available. Mine a Kubota MX5400DT would probably do well with an HST. But for me the gear drive is a hell of a lot more enjoyable to drive. My brothers tractor is an HST so I have driven an HST. The DT more enjoyable and saved $2,000 to boot. But everybody has their own opinion. Their all fun and will do plenty of work for you. EB19C65F-5A77-4FB5-BEAC-6362DDACE4ED.jpeg

Attachments

• AE6A839A-FD87-4522-A1D3-2E258B705BC0.jpeg
    AE6A839A-FD87-4522-A1D3-2E258B705BC0.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 76
  • 004A522D-E1D8-4550-B3BC-2E468B98621D.jpeg
    004A522D-E1D8-4550-B3BC-2E468B98621D.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 73
  • E9A50A6E-8EE9-44D2-83E3-43AFC9F496B4.jpeg
    E9A50A6E-8EE9-44D2-83E3-43AFC9F496B4.jpeg
    719.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
   / How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #224  
Here I am, moving some dirt with my geared tractor. Accordingly to the internet myths spread all over, by the end of the video, I should've replaced the clutch, had surgery on my left knee since it was destroyed to death with all the clutch use, oh and technically I could've done the job in the first place since geared tractors are terrible for this type of work? I also run the rototiller with this tractor and according to yet another myth, geared tractors can't run tillers because they won't go slow enough or something silly like that. 🤦‍♂️

You’d save more time than you realize on a HST with the ability to accelerate between the drop and scoop site and slow back down to scoop again without having to change gears. If the ground was smoother so you could drive faster the difference would be more.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #225  
You need to look at other brands as well since Kubota really got stuck behind everyone else in the USA, specially when it comes to geared transmissions, as they had to follow the trend of the HST. Interestingly enough, they do offer a 16x16 transmission with dry clutch in Europe starting on the L2372 model (equivalent to the L3560).

As far as costs between hydraulic shuttle or dry clutch. Back in 2018, when I happened to check some prices, Kioti had the DK5020 Hydraulic shuttle and 16x16 transmission selling for €19,500, which is inline with other brands offering the same 16x16 but with dry clutch like the Branson 5025R or LS R50. So I don't think that there is an huge difference between dry clutch and hydraulic shuttle. Definitely won't get near the HST prices.

I admittedly haven’t spent much time looking at tractors since I have no interest in buying another one. But Americans don’t use small tractors for farming. They might disk their garden or food plot one time a year but someone using a small tractor to earn their living farming just doesn’t happen here. I don’t think anyone is selling a 16 speed geared transmission in a small tractor here. And I think you’ll find a pretty considerable difference in price vs a hydraulic shuttle and a dry clutch.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #226  
You’d save more time than you realize on a HST with the ability to accelerate between the drop and scoop site and slow back down to scoop again without having to change gears. If the ground was smoother so you could drive faster the difference would be

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #227  
Shifting gears is fun and a DT has comparable top speed to an HST. What is so difficult about changing gears? I did a shitload of loader work a couple of weeks ago. I know an HST wouldn’t have saved any time. It’s just most people are too lazy to shift.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #228  
Shifting gears is fun and a DT has comparable top speed to an HST. What is so difficult about changing gears? I did a shitload of loader work a couple of weeks ago. I know an HST wouldn’t have saved any time. It’s just most people are too lazy to shift.

I’m guessing you believe zero turn lawnmowers aren’t faster than riders either. Changing gears isn’t inherently difficult but it gets old doing it hundred of times per hour. I’ve had gear tractors before and if I ever have to use the loader on one again I’ll be too soon. My dump truck is a manual transmission as well. My next truck will probably be an automatic. I’m not driving the truck for pleasure. I’m driving it to make work easier. If I can make it even easier that’s what I’m going to do. I wouldn’t be as down on it if it was a good transmission but a 6 speed in a F-750 isn’t a good transmission.

Last edited:
   / How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #229  
You either have a foot throttle or three arms! :)
Three arms and three legs, obviously. :)

One arm for the shuttle lever, other for the steering wheel and the last one for the joystick. Then one leg for the clutch, another for the brakes and the last one for the foot throttle.

Wouldn't that be great? 🤣

Last edited:
   / How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #230  
You’d save more time than you realize on a HST with the ability to accelerate between the drop and scoop site and slow back down to scoop again without having to change gears. If the ground was smoother so you could drive faster the difference would be more.

For one, I'm not racing. Second, I could've easily went much faster, I could even do it all in medium range but then again, not a race. Before scooping, I'm changing from medium range to low range, which I would do anyway if I had an HST. And then change back to medium to move the dirt. Range gears are there to be used and being that I used them a lot, those just slide right in every time with tip of the finger, just like the shuttle lever or the main 1-4 shifter.

Doesn't take much work at all, again using a clutch is second nature over here, just like breathing, you don't even notice you're doing it.

I'm sure HST has its place, in fact, I have no problems admitting that it would most likely be a great choice for me if I were to use the tractor only at the home propriety but the constant BS and myths thrown towards the geared transmission is just ridiculous and have no logic or sense at all. As if the HST was the holy grail and people couldn't do anything before the HST.

I can count with all the 6 fingers on my left hand the amount of HST tractors on this country. Fun fact, most are actually owned by expats. One has actually been sitting for sale since I bought mine in 2017. Then again, different uses for the tractors other than just mowing the lawn or pushing some snow.

Last edited: