How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans?

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #241  
would be good if you actually used a gear shift to compare to. I've cut down trees and been in this same position and found that it is much faster and easier to just cut the tree off and take it out in two pieces.
Then I wouuld be out of the cab using a chain saw, and making at least two or more trips getting in and out of the cab to fiddle around with a chain being used to drag the tree bits out of the woods. In this case, immediately to my right was a slash pile with no room to pull using a chain anyway.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #242  
Only place I've found a hydro to be better, is in a lawnmower. At least then the blades are so loud I don't have to listen to the hydro. lol

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #243  
You do realize that today, to get a CDL, you have to have a special endorsement for a standard transmission???

30+ years for me with either a 13 double over or an 18 speed.. My personal big truck has a 13 double over in it.

Is it an endorsement or just not a listed restriction?

My CDL test was before that change.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #245  
Quad range in a Deere 4240, don’t miss that thing one bit.

Gear on a L3301, missed - zero

Shuttle on a L4701, missed - zero

Hydro on the L6060, much better. No lack of power for a machine of that size.

All on applications, where I currently live there are no flat spots, trees everywhere, lots of loader work and mowing. Hands down, 100% faster, more efficient work with the HST +. Loader work with that ‘+’ is exceptional to have that split gear. A fixed gear tractor means going slower basically all of the time, where an hst I can accelerate to the next obstacle, slow down, cut close to the tree and accelerate to the next. Perfect.

The larger Deere was mainly a pasture queen with some limited loader work, very fatiguing doing loader work, not it’s primary goal in life, it liked straight lines, long distances towing stuff…

Also, have large 100+ hp New Holands, Masseys, and JDs on the family ranch (not personally owned like the above), they are all shuttles, fitted to the hay work that they were purchased for. Not woods, limited hills, loaded work is just transporting hay. Shuttle is just fine for that.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #247  
Is it an endorsement or just not a listed restriction?

My CDL test was before that change.

It’s not listed as a restriction. Same for air brakes.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #248  
   / How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #249  
It’s not listed as a restriction. Same for air brakes.
That endorsement would apply to Commercial Class C only. I’ve had those endorsements when I had a commercial License Class B for busses. They have Commercial Class C with Passenger endorsements for vans. Fairly sure on this but I could be wrong.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #250  
When it comes to the ultimate load being pulled the HST will probably win out. HST will retrain traction better at the start.

More controllable torque delivery yes, but as you go into adding ballast and counterweight, loader and a loader load you fairly promptly encounter situations where you cant apply enough torque to the wheels to move - even in low range. The relief valve in the HST just opens and youve got to find a work around to proceed. Typically the max wheel torque deliverable from a comparable gear tractor is much higher. I find that ~ 2nd or 3rd gear of an 8 speed will exceed the torque limit of a 3 range HST.