As we headed out to lovers lane
I couldn't believe my luck
But that is when the batteries died
On my shiny new EV truck
We crawled under some warm blankets
And got ourselves well snugged in
But alas it was the truck, not me,
That needed to be plugged in

See, I brought it back to Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,922  
When she learned I had an EV truck,
Her eyes began to shine.
So I asked her on a date
and hoped she would be mine.
I thought she liked the truck
Because the seats were so darned large.
But it turned out what she really liked
Was all the devices it could charge

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,923  
The 1st Tesla semi being delivered

CNET Musk reveal with many new details of the drivetrain

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,924  
The 1st Tesla semi being delivered

CNET Musk reveal with many new details of the drivetrain

That is impressive watching the part where they are climbing Donner Pass (sea level to 7,000 ft) @ 82,000 lbs. 47 mph and gradually gaining speed up that miles-long 6% grade. That is a long hard pull! Back when I had a 2.5l Trooper if I had to slow for something up that grade, it would take miles to get back up to 5th gear. (mostly due to the thin air).

An advantage not mentioned is that altitude doesn't rob power from an electric going up the pass. Their in-house haul between Reno and Fremont is over that Donner Pass, and they mention regenerative braking coming down puts 100% of the braking energy back into the battery.

Some of the comments on that video are like here, "this could never work". But that's from the perspective of an owner-operator, maybe team-driving 24/7. It looks like the best first application for these is short-haul delivery, like restocking grocery stores. Lots of weight but limited miles and working out of a central dispatch location with onsite chargers. I see Tesla's first sales are to PepsiCola.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,925  
To make the comparison between the two you have to factor in charging times...and when you do it's not even close...
With current technology you're absolutely correct. My comment was that if EVs were to be a practical alternative, some sort of on-board power generating source (that can be easily refueled) would be necessary.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,926  
Some people might not be able to afford an EV but art least they will have a charger.

"In 2018, the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) approved $22.4 million in funding for PG&E to expand publicly available electric vehicle charging through the Fast Charge program. By 2025, the program anticipates the deployment of 200 DC fast chargers at qualifying customer sites. Under the program, 25% of the DCFCs will be located in disadvantaged communities, and supplemental rebates will be available to qualified program participants."
This just in...

Fight erupts at apartment complex charging station. Film at 11.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,927  
That is impressive watching the part where they are climbing Donner Pass (sea level to 7,000 ft) @ 82,000 lbs. 47 mph and gradually gaining speed up that miles-long 6% grade. That is a long hard pull! Back when I had a 2.5l Trooper if I had to slow for something up that grade, it would take miles to get back up to 5th gear. (mostly due to the thin air).

An advantage not mentioned is that altitude doesn't rob power from an electric going up the pass. Their in-house haul between Reno and Fremont is over that Donner Pass, and they mention regenerative braking coming down puts 100% of the braking energy back into the battery.

Some of the comments on that video are like here, "this could never work". But that's from the perspective of an owner-operator, maybe team-driving 24/7. It looks like the best first application for these is short-haul delivery, like restocking grocery stores. Lots of weight but limited miles and working out of a central dispatch location with onsite chargers. I see Tesla's first sales are to PepsiCola.
Yeah, I am Very Impressed with the regen Capture.

In the early days of ev's only a small percent was recovered.

With Heavy hauling through mountainous areas this was a Very Key component that apparently has now been solved.

Also liked the liquid cooled charge cables, reminds me of High amp TIG welding tech that has been around since the 50's but is an effective fix

On the other hand Rich rebuilds really clarified some of the electric shortcomings when he bought a Rivian R1T after a different dealer tried to scam him. He had a heck of a time just getting enough charge to complete his trip and pointed out many reasons to really think hard about whether an electric will save any money. Location also plays a big role as Rich points out.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,928  
Yeah, I am Very Impressed with the regen Capture.

In the early days of ev's only a small percent was recovered.
Curiously, how effective are these as brakes? Only time I've ever driven anything with regen braking was a pruis (and that was maybe 10 years ago)...it took quite a bit of getting used to, and I don't know how much braking was regen and how much was standard brakes.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,930  
Curiously, how effective are these as brakes? Only time I've ever driven anything with regen braking was a pruis (and that was maybe 10 years ago)...it took quite a bit of getting used to, and I don't know how much braking was regen and how much was standard brakes.
I read down through the Youtube comments on that video. One said the brakes were stone-cold at the bottom of the grade, regeneration had done all the work.

Diesel locomotives are similar. Downhill, the electric wheel motors are pushing current to big air-cooled heating coils. Much of the train's braking is done at the engines. I read about this when I wondered why the steam locomotives on show tours around the US have a diesel locomotive with them. It's for the braking.