Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,931  
If the semi performance can come in at 70% of the stated it will be a hit especially if the economy crashes as some predict.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,932  
No.

Actually in many places the grid is fine if everybody bought EVs today. I know that is the case in my area in Kentucky and we live in the boonies. The decrease in electrical use from dairy farms and small business and stuff like that that needed three phase power. Many of those are long gone and out of busineess but in some places as you know like Texas California they make the news lot. But the grid is fine for people getting EVs today in many areas but it's not nationwide.

Half the people living today may be dead in another 30 years so there's going to be a whole mindset change and I'm not sure by 2050 is if we will not have another form of energy or source of electricity that we're not familiar with today.

The grid will not be a roadblock to the future.
If everybody is referring to the average household having one or two EVs plugging them in at night to charge then yeah, no problem.

If you want commercial vehicles to be EV as well then no, the grid is not fine. I'm a mechanic for a fire department and another local department wanted to prewire the new stations they're building for EV chargers. There's three companies building EV fire trucks now so it's coming, might as well build in the capacity. They said the color drained from the engineer's face when they gave him the specs for what the charger requires. They don't have enough power supply to the station to run one charger and they need probably three or four. These are commercial buildings, not a house with a 200 amp supply.

I can't speak to the rest of the country but around here they're closing power plants and dams not building new ones... To make no improvements to the grid and then to say that all new vehicles need to be electric by 2035 or whatever is idiocy. That's not just going to magically be fine, someone's going to need to build power plants and distribution.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,933  
If everybody is referring to the average household having one or two EVs plugging them in at night to charge then yeah, no problem.

If you want commercial vehicles to be EV as well then no, the grid is not fine. I'm a mechanic for a fire department and another local department wanted to prewire the new stations they're building for EV chargers. There's three companies building EV fire trucks now so it's coming, might as well build in the capacity. They said the color drained from the engineer's face when they gave him the specs for what the charger requires. They don't have enough power supply to the station to run one charger and they need probably three or four. These are commercial buildings, not a house with a 200 amp supply.

I can't speak to the rest of the country but around here they're closing power plants and dams not building new ones... To make no improvements to the grid and then to say that all new vehicles need to be electric by 2035 or whatever is idiocy. That's not just going to magically be fine, someone's going to need to build power plants and distribution.
This is why Tesla is installing large storage batteries at their charging stations because the grid with that much surge capacity would be very expensive.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,934  
This should make the ones calling for this action Happy.

Its only pork. They talk about "weather emergencies shutting down The Grid" but never say anything about the remedy, only boast about how much money they are going to spend.

I don't believe The Grid is in nearly as bad of shape as those wishing to make a name for themselves by spending other people's money make it out to be.

Would be nice to have more redundancy, but redundancy costs more than double the price. Two paths overbuilt so that one can carry everything, plus the switching hardware to know when to reroute. AC power can not be routed via multiple paths simultaneously because the speed of light is not fast enough in wires for the waveform to reach the destination at the same time from two different routes of different lengths. Could do this via DC, which is why the main backbones are DC. But then there is a loss and expense in converting the DC to AC.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,935  
To make the comparison between the two you have to factor in charging times...and when you do it's not even close...
It takes 30 seconds to charge my Tesla. 15 seconds to plug in tonight, 15 seconds to unplug in the morning. No ICE refuels that fast.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,936  

Thats silly. Someone was yanking strings because they hate EVs and the others involved were too ignorant to know what was happening. You saw the story, wanted to believe it, therefore you do.

The Rosenbauer RTX, the "first EV fire truck" deployed in Hollywood, has a 132 kWh battery. If totally depleted (never happens) a 50A 240VAC circuit would refill in 15 hours. But on the other hand the Rosenbauer also has an onboard diesel engine. My 2013 Tesla has an 85 kWh battery. Some newer Model S and Model X got 100 kWh.

The Pierce Voltarra also has combination of battery EV drive and diesel water pumps.

The E-ONE has a 316 kWh battery. If you want to yank strings to get a project canceled just demand 500 kW power per fire truck based on an imaginary need to charge from zero in an hour. Three trucks is 1.5MW which isn't all that difficult, is what Tesla installs for an (8) bay Version 3 250kW Supercharger site. Buc-ee's gets (16) of those Superchargers.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,937  
It takes 30 seconds to charge my Tesla. 15 seconds to plug in tonight, 15 seconds to unplug in the morning. No ICE refuels that fast.
My wife can gas her car up faster than that. All she has to do is ask me to do it when I go to town.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,938  
Thats silly. Someone was yanking strings because they hate EVs and the others involved were too ignorant to know what was happening. You saw the story, wanted to believe it, therefore you do.

The Rosenbauer RTX, the "first EV fire truck" deployed in Hollywood, has a 132 kWh battery. If totally depleted (never happens) a 50A 240VAC circuit would refill in 15 hours. But on the other hand the Rosenbauer also has an onboard diesel engine. My 2013 Tesla has an 85 kWh battery. Some newer Model S and Model X got 100 kWh.

The Pierce Voltarra also has combination of battery EV drive and diesel water pumps.

The E-ONE has a 316 kWh battery. If you want to yank strings to get a project canceled just demand 500 kW power per fire truck based on an imaginary need to charge from zero in an hour. Three trucks is 1.5MW which isn't all that difficult, is what Tesla installs for an (8) bay Version 3 250kW Supercharger site. Buc-ee's gets (16) of those Superchargers.
... and you don't want to believe it, therefore you don't. Then you went and googled a bunch of stuff that you think confirms your belief. Welcome to arguing with people on the internet :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,939  
So how long does it actually take to charge your Tesla, not just plug it in, and for how many miles? You know kind of like real world experiences when I get home from a long trip then have to run to the store. How long do I have to wait to recharge before I go to the store (30 miles), or if Mom calls and needs some groceries (120 miles)?

Does the YouTube on post #3927 accurately reflect the time for that truck to get a charge while traveling - 2.5 hours for a "fill-up", and $75.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,940  
I'm on the slow side and it takes more like a minute to top off our EV when I get home after a trip. The cost is $3.50 per 100 miles driven typically. Due to the AI technology in our Leaf it manages the charging time without any input from me while I bush hog or sleep or something else.

Our max draw on 220 volts is 26 amps which adds about 25 mi of range per hour for 20 year old technology.

I was just confused as some of the others are about EV charging until I went and spent $13.5K to purchase an EV to gain some first hand practical experience.

Our son met me at the car wash yesterday because our white F-150 was looking kind of greenish after sitting under the trees all summer. After it was nice and white with a spray on wax job at the cost of $18 I took and filled it up. That 26 gallons of gas cost $2.79 per gallon. The three cans of Seafoam cost me another $24. Fighting with the credit card reader added 15 minutes to fill-up time.