PT 429 (was Robin 22 hp PT 422 blew up thread)

/ PT 429 (was Robin 22 hp PT 422 blew up thread) #1  

scarg

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT 422 Mod to kawi 29HP FD791
Greetings,

The kawasaki FD791D (29HP liquid cooled digital fuel injected) project has begun.
I spent about 30 hours this last weekend and made great progress and have been taking hundreds of digital images.

All required items i have done engineering drawings for and had the guys manufacture for me at our factory.

The engine fits well- better than the original robin 22hp.

I have designed all other items and will have parts manufactured this week.

I had to cut the top of the stock PT cage out except for a small area to mount stand offs.

I cannot use the pulley drive fan to coolthe radiator and will use a 12 aftermarket fan (which fit perfectly into the OEM radiator mounting).

The radiator and hyd. radiator will be located on top of the original PT cage and add 12" total to the over all height of the cage.

I was able to use the OEM kawi exhaust and also original PT gas tank also.

The cage still closes same as before.

To power both the old hyd radiator fan and new electric fan i purchased a car allternator that puts out 100 amps and this will be driven of the flywheel pully.

I have drawing for all items and will check back in in a few weeks.

It looks like a very good decision to use this in lieu of the Robin even though it is alot more work it just feels right.

No more cold starting issues and 20-30 more HP and torque.

steve

/ PT 429 (was Robin 22 hp PT 422 blew up thread) #2  
Really looking forward to seeing the progress on this. Keep up the good work. :eek:

/ PT 429 (was Robin 22 hp PT 422 blew up thread) #3  
I will follow this with great interest. Maybe I can keep my 422 and just upgrade a few things.

/ PT 429 (was Robin 22 hp PT 422 blew up thread) #4  
scarg said:
Greetings,

The kawasaki FD791D (29HP liquid cooled digital fuel injected) project has begun.
I spent about 30 hours this last weekend and made great progress and have been taking hundreds of digital images.

All required items i have done engineering drawings for and had the guys manufacture for me at our factory.

The engine fits well- better than the original robin 22hp.

I have designed all other items and will have parts manufactured this week.

I had to cut the top of the stock PT cage out except for a small area to mount stand offs.

I cannot use the pulley drive fan to coolthe radiator and will use a 12 aftermarket fan (which fit perfectly into the OEM radiator mounting).

The radiator and hyd. radiator will be located on top of the original PT cage and add 12" total to the over all height of the cage.

I was able to use the OEM kawi exhaust and also original PT gas tank also.

The cage still closes same as before.

To power both the old hyd radiator fan and new electric fan i purchased a car allternator that puts out 100 amps and this will be driven of the flywheel pully.

I have drawing for all items and will check back in in a few weeks.

It looks like a very good decision to use this in lieu of the Robin even though it is alot more work it just feels right.

No more cold starting issues and 20-30 more HP and torque.

steve

Steve,
Do you have any progress pictures you can post ?? This is a very interesting project. Things have been pretty boring on the forum lately. :D
A lot of re-hashing of the same old-same old.

/ PT 429 (was Robin 22 hp PT 422 blew up thread) #5  
Rivco said:
Steve,
Do you have any progress pictures you can post ?? This is a very interesting project. Things have been pretty boring on the forum lately. :D
A lot of re-hashing of the same old-same old.

Noooooo! :D:p:D

/ PT 429 (was Robin 22 hp PT 422 blew up thread) #6  
SnowRidge said:

OK....What I meant to say was...a lot of re-hashing of the same-old same-old same-old same-old same-old and some more of the same-old same-old. :D :p :) :rolleyes: :D

/ PT 429 (was Robin 22 hp PT 422 blew up thread) #7  
Rivco said:
OK....What I meant to say was...a lot of re-hashing of the same-old same-old same-old same-old same-old and some more of the same-old same-old. :D :p :) :rolleyes: :D

Has anyone tried reversing their wheels?

/ PT 429 (was Robin 22 hp PT 422 blew up thread) #8  
RegL said:

Oh no, not again, they should have learned by now.

/ PT 429 (was Robin 22 hp PT 422 blew up thread) #9  
RegL said:

Yes,... I never did get around to reversing the wheels, but I did reverse the stump grinder blade. I also had to reverse my steering wheel in order to operate the newly configured blade rotation. After doing that.. the rotational cross flow of the non-reversed wheels seemed to be more in line with the internal bearing position on the throttle swash plate hydro-vac system. HUH ??? :D

Last edited:
   / PT 429 (was Robin 22 hp PT 422 blew up thread) #10  
Didn't you get the service builletin from Terry about boring out the forward flow restrctor to 0.17997" for enhanced reversed power? I hear it makes all the difference. :)

All the best,

Peter

But the only time I want reversed wheels is brush hogging on slopes, and the reversed wheels don't fit behind the mower, so...

Rivco said:
Yes,... I never did get around to reversing the wheels, but I did reverse the stump grinder blade. I also had to reverse my steering wheel in order to operate the newly configured blade rotation. After doing that.. the rotational cross flow of the non-reversed wheels seemed to be more in line with the internal bearing position on the throttle swash plate hydro-vac system. HUH ??? :D