Indoor Pollution from Gas Stoves

/ Indoor Pollution from Gas Stoves #2  
Nothing burns 100% clean. A good hood/vent over a stove should help tremendously with moving anything the stove produces out of the house.

/ Indoor Pollution from Gas Stoves #3  
My Mom cooked for years on an old kerosene stove that had no vent of any kind. Come to think of it, the kitchen did have a faint, but lingerin kerosene odor. At least our pot bellied heating stove an our kerosene heating stove had vents.

/ Indoor Pollution from Gas Stoves #4  
We live off grid so a gas (propane) stove is our only option. It would be nice if there was an option for exterior venting but the exhaust fan/hood accomplishes the same thing. I can see it causing problems if a gas stove was used regularly with no venting or hood. I'm not sure why no one offers an exterior vented range, seems like there would be a market for it.

/ Indoor Pollution from Gas Stoves #5  
Wood and pellet stoves have outside vents, so all the combustion air that is taken out of the room goes out the chimney or vent and is replaced by outside fresh air coming into the room (unless you create a house with a vacuum).
A gas oven removes the oxygen in your house and converts it to carbon dioxide and water.

/ Indoor Pollution from Gas Stoves #6  
I don't like electric stoves, so I have a gas stove. The hood over it is vented, (outside) so I don't see any problem with it at all.

It's all my dad/mom had, and dad did a lot of the cooking and still lived to be over 100. lol

SR

Last edited:
   / Indoor Pollution from Gas Stoves #7  
Haven't read the study, but i thought the issue with asthma and gas ranges, was the nitrous oxide created from high temp of flame was the culprit. My opinion is that asthma is not caused by red bull or video games, as there were people with asthma before those were invented, so with just a little use of my brain and logic, i've come to the conclusion, there is probably a number of causes for asthma. One study i read mentioned less occurrence of asthma with children that had been exposed to less than clean conditions when growing up.

/ Indoor Pollution from Gas Stoves #8  
Well someone didnt like my post and it got removed so I will phrase it a different way-I disagree with this study because there are many more pollutants and elements in the household that are more troubling than the affects of burning gas. 70% of the air we breath in our homes comes from the basement for those with basements.

I do have a natural gas furnace but most if not all the pollutants are vented outside.

Air tight homes maybe more susceptible then older home as well.

/ Indoor Pollution from Gas Stoves #9  
Most quality built modern homes are extremely air tight so air quality is becoming an issue. If you have a tight home, air fresheners, perfumes, fumes from building materials and furniture (off gassing), cooking odors, cooking with gas, radon gas, and gas from uncle Charlie will all stay in the home. The home can become quite the toxic environment.

Last edited:
   / Indoor Pollution from Gas Stoves #10  
Nothing burns 100% clean. A good hood/vent over a stove should help tremendously with moving anything the stove produces out of the house.

A vent hood that actually vents outside is truly a life changing appliance. Why even bother with the ones that just re circulate through the room?