Air Compressor WARNING!

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
I hate to encourage YouTube viewing, but maybe people should see this.

I always wondered what would happen if such a tank exploded.

*AIR COMPRESSOR WARNING* - YouTube

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #2  
Sobering for sure...

The compressor I have paid extra for certified tank and have auto drain... every 5 years State comes out to inspect wall thickness.

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #3  
A reminder to drain the moisture out of my compressor tanks after use. Thanks for posting.

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #4  
Very timely, I just rewired and old compressor that could hold over 200 psi... once I got it cranked up, it popped a hole in the bottom (very low pressure). This tank sat in my basement for a long time (to be fixed). Finally got around to it and the hole happened... first thought was... it's cast iron, weld or braze?

Looking for a donor tank at the moment...

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #5  
He was running way more pressure than he should have! Pressure should have been no more than 125 psi. If you run higher pressure then that, you're supposed to have in safety cage with a wall that won't allow debris to be thrown at you! Also noticed in vid that there was some previous welding around drain bung! Sure sign of a problem before this happened. Also need to check your pressure relief valves to make sure they're 125 psi and not 155 or even 175 psi! Maintainence, Maintainence! That's why there are so many battery operated tools being made!

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #6  
Put in one of the 175 psi 80 gallon tanks but now
Only need 50 psi at very low volume so cut pressure off way down...

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #7  
Beware of old and tired. We pulled out an old shop compressor to install a new unit and found the tank was cracked on the rear side, against the wall among all the discarded dirt and debris. Just one sticky relief valve away from destruction in a dirty environment.

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #8  
What's weird is YT recommended that same video to me maybe a day or two ago. Hmmmmm

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #9  
Saw dat video. Same fellow remade de video claims he never messed wid tank. TOTAL LIAR! Dat hunk of iron wid drain valve not factory no way. You beg for problem you generally get BIG problem.

Little tank machines ticking time bomb. Under 12 gallons no inspection or certification required by government.

/ Air Compressor WARNING!
A little more focus on the compressor would have been of interest. Make, how old, history, how much pressure, type of pump, did relief valve work, did he ever bother to drain it?

The windows being blown out is disturbing.

I have an elaborate air distribution system underground, and was thinking of putting a tank in the ceiling of my shop (not where my compressor is) to give me more air on demand in the shop. Rather than it having to come from afar. Not so sure, I like that idea so much now.

I always worry about charging my HUSKY air pig. Usually put it outside the door and turn away from it.

Last edited: