01'JD 4110 how to check alternator?

/ 01'JD 4110 how to check alternator? #1  

2001 JD4110

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD-4110
Not charging newer diehard, disaasembled alt & cleaned, still dies when + cable is disconnected from batt...not much to alternator, just a magnet & stator..?? maybe theres a bad regulator somewhere? Thanks for any help!!

Attachments

• IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 337
   / 01'JD 4110 how to check alternator? #2  
Did you check the battery voltage with it running? If charging it should be 14-16 volts.
There is a regulator. Two different ones, depends if you have the 20 or 35 amp alternator.
Does the battery light work on your dash? It should light at start (bulb check) and go out if charging, or stay on if not charging. A burnt out bulb will prevent charging.

/ 01'JD 4110 how to check alternator?
Hi,Thanks! Yes the batt light works & not on when running. I have the 20a alt with external regulator. I read/search found an expensive safety relay under dash "might" be a culprit though that was for a 2k series iirc. any way I can check stuff with a voltmeter?

/ 01'JD 4110 how to check alternator? #4  
any way I can check stuff with a voltmeter?

Zebrafive has posted the expected voltages... Check it, then post back on what you measured.

I forgot to run at 1/2 throttle!
Geez, when I boost the gas a lttle I'm getting 14.0v at battery!:) wondering why it dies as soon as + terminal is removed? I know on a regular car, that would be an alternator/charging problem.

Last edited:
I forgot to run at 1/2 throttle!
Geez, when I boost the gas a lttle I'm getting 14.0v at battery!:) wondering why it dies as soon as + terminal is removed? I know on a regular car, that would be an alternator/charging problem.

anybody got any ideas and/or wiring diagrams?

/ 01'JD 4110 how to check alternator? #7  
If volt meter indicates 14 volts across bat posts with engine running then I think if it were my tractor I'd find something else to concern my thoughts.

why does engine instantly die out when positive cable is removed from battery?

So I got to the 4 relays on right side under column, the 1st 2 are the same so I switched them, no difference. I did see the batt light on at idle with relays in both positions but went off as soon as I raised idle...never really noticed that before. More importantly I found that eng will always die when lifting of positive terminal BUT if simply "tapped" to post, then removed away eng stays running? any ideas?

/ 01'JD 4110 how to check alternator? #10  
Disconnecting the battery while running is NOT a conclusive test for charging system. In fact, it can CAUSE a problem when a problem did not exist before. I don't recommend doing this as it can cause voltage surges that can burn out sensitive electronics such as regulators, alternators or controllers if you have them. You have proven the alternator IS charging by checking voltage. If your battery is going dead(you never say that) then the battery can be bad even if it is "newer", the system could have a drain such as a stuck relay that is draining the battery when it sits overnight or longer, or what I have seen on these pretty frequently, the glow plugs can stick on and actually drain the battery while running because the glow plugs draw more power than the alternator can keep up with on these 20 amp systems.