08 farm pro 2420 Steering

/ 08 farm pro 2420 Steering #1  

robertwcj

Tractor
farm pro 2420
I bought this ol tractor a few months ago, the power Steering worked fine, the hydraulic fluid that was in it was black the filter was shot installed a new filter, I changed the hydraulic fluid with AW46
& now the power Steering doesn't work, I did started & let it run then I got busy & it sat for 2 months, I shouldn't need to do it but I bled the lines at the cylinder, still nothing

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Robert

/ 08 farm pro 2420 Steering #2  
It is possible your pump lost it's prime. Does the steering have a separate pump and reservoir or is part of the main tractor hydraulics?
If it is common with the other hydraulics, do they work?
Is your filter a screen that is in the tank or is it a spin on filter? If it is a spin on you can crack it loose and see if you have fluid that far. Otherwise you can take the suction line loose at the pump and see if there is fluid at that point.

/ 08 farm pro 2420 Steering
only 1 pump no separate pump & no reservoir, the other hydraulics good & strong, the filter is a screen in the tank

/ 08 farm pro 2420 Steering #4  
Most likely a diverter/priority valve issue. Could just be debris that is plugging it up if you your old fluid was that bad. I would take it apart and clean it really well. Make sure you can squirt brake cleaner through all the passages.
The other option could be a steering cylinder that is bypassing internally. You could loosen the lines at the cylinder and with the engine running, try turning the steering wheel. You should see fluid leaking under pressure. If not, I would opt for a new diverter valve.

I wonder what the deal is with the rash of steering issues lately?...

You could loosen the lines at the cylinder and with the engine running, try turning the steering wheel. You should see fluid leaking under pressure. If not, I would opt for a new diverter valve.
I tried that fluid came out didn't look like it was under pressure, I will try cleaning the diverter & see what happes

Thanks Robert

/ 08 farm pro 2420 Steering #6  
It would only be under pressure while the steering wheel is turning. When it is not moving pressure on both sides of the cylinder piston would be equal and the gear box is not supplying fluid to either side in "neutral".

It would only be under pressure while the steering wheel is turning. When it is not moving pressure on both sides of the cylinder piston would be equal and the gear box is not supplying fluid to either side in "neutral".
Right, I tried moving the steering while the tractor was running some fluid came just nut gushing like I thought it should

/ 08 farm pro 2420 Steering #8  
I tried that fluid came out didn't look like it was under pressure, I will try cleaning the diverter & see what happes

Thanks Robert

it wouldnt appear pressurized per se since the static pressure of an open system in near zero, and with the lines disconnected from the steering cylinder you have a system thats open at two ends, pressure only builds when its closed at one end.

remove the diverter didn't find any debris, clean it, reinstalled it when putting the lines back on I turned the engine each time I
put a hose on, everything is flowing good up to the gear box, pulled the lines off the steering cylinder I could barely move the steering wheel
some fluid came out, it's feels like the steering cylinder is locked up, is that possible?

/ 08 farm pro 2420 Steering #10  
Try this. Jack the front wheels off of the ground and disconnect both lines. Then try to move the wheels by hand. They should move and fluid should spit out of each side as you move the cylinder. IF they do, all is OK at the front end.
IF they won't move, disconnect the cylinder at one end or the other and try again. They should move fairly easily. If not, problem with axle pivots or tie rod.
If everything is OK at the front end, that leaves only the steering gear box.
I have never messed with the insides of one, but my guess is that with the lines disconnected (probably need all 4 off) the steering wheel should turn pretty easily.
I know that with my 284 when the wheels are off the ground, I can turn the steering wheel and move the wheels lock to lock, even with the engine off.
Gear boxes should be available at most dealers.
Hopefully someone will post actual gearbox troubleshooting.