1 year and 150 hour review

/ 1 year and 150 hour review #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
My 5240 is about 1 year old now and I just turned over 150 hours today, so far this tractor has done everything I expected and then some. I have moved dirt, stone, brush hogged, mowed grass (finish mower), plowed snow, and probably 20 hrs on the hoe (bh92). I performed the initial service at 52 hours and that consisted of changing the engine oil and filter and changing both hydraulic filters. Only the hydraulic filters were changed and not the fluid, I know that is a highly debated topic on here but that's the way I decided to do it.

Have more backhoe work planned for this summer as well as more dirt moving and finish mowing. If there is time I want to also bale hay with it (small squares) on my place but that is all dependent on the weather and my schedule. The farmer down the road from me does it now and if I don't have time he will still do it.

My only complaint is the smoke during a cold start but when I get around to adjusting the timing that should take care of it. Other than that the machine has been flawless and I look forward to putting at least another 150 hours on it this year.

I'm not very good at typing up these reviews so let me know if you have any questions.

/ 1 year and 150 hour review #2  
Glad to hear you've had such a good year. We were shopping at about the same time and I am just as pleased with my L5740. Here's to another good year! :drink:

/ 1 year and 150 hour review #3  
My only complaint is the smoke during a cold start but when I get around to adjusting the timing that should take care of it. Other than that the machine has been flawless and I look forward to putting at least another 150 hours on it this year.

Are you talking about adjusting the fuel pump timing implying that its currently to late in the stroke?

/ 1 year and 150 hour review #4  
I think it is a good review. It also good to hear that you are using the tractor. I know a guy that had a tractor for a year and put 15 hours on it.

/ 1 year and 150 hour review #5  

Are yo sure this smoke isn't just because the engine is cold?

/ 1 year and 150 hour review #6  
Good to hear your tractor is working out, I bought a L5740, essentially the same tractor based on satisfaction from many happy owners.

/ 1 year and 150 hour review #7  
why adjust timing? would not recommend, and what are you using to determine if it is timed properly? i once had the injector pump rebuilt on a massey ('61 model) and then timed it to the mark. that was way back when..... but on a new tractor w/emissions? would weigh that decision very carefully. how long is the smoke discharge after you start it? once warmed up, smoking heavily when accelerated? they all smoke when initially started for a few seconds... best

/ 1 year and 150 hour review
Thanks for the replies. If I adjust the injection timing it will be to the same spec that this engine used prior to emissions. Before doing that though. Full compliment of gauges will be installed to get some baselines before the modification.

/ 1 year and 150 hour review #9  
I'd be interested to see what you find out about adjusting the timing.

/ 1 year and 150 hour review
When I finally get around to doing it I will post a thread. Seems like there is always something more important to work on. I still need to get a service manual ordered so I can look at the process.