10,000 Mile Oil Changes and Sealed Transmissions

/ 10,000 Mile Oil Changes and Sealed Transmissions #1  

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless, 2022 F350 Tremor, 24ft Diamond C HDT Equipment Trailer, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
The “free” oil changes and tire rotations at the Toyota dealer for the first 30,000 miles on my 2016 Toyota Avalon recently ended so I actually sat down and read the maintenance section of my owners manual.

The manual states that the oil should be changed every 10,000 miles with 0W20 synthetic motor oil.

Also, the owners manual did not recommend for the transmission oil to be changed at all. Looking under the hood the transmission is sealed with no obvious way to drain and/or fill it.

There’s also no timing belt.

I think I’m gonna do it guys and just change the oil every 10K with synthetic, rotate the tires every 5K, tires and brakes as needed, and not touch the transmission.

What do you guys think? Think she’ll go 300K miles with 10,000 mile oil changes and not touching the transmission?

Article about it from edmunds: https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tips-advice/stop-changing-your-oil.html

Last edited:
   / 10,000 Mile Oil Changes and Sealed Transmissions #2  
My 2011 Ram 1500 calls for 8000 mile oil changes and unless it has changed recently the 5w20 Chrysler spec oil is non synthetic. The only non synthetic oil i the whole vehicle. My understand is some of the newer vehicle call for 15-16000 mile oil changes.

I change my engine oil every six months which is about 5-6000 miles.

/ 10,000 Mile Oil Changes and Sealed Transmissions #3  
I use Mobil 1 oil and change filter every 5k and filter and oil every 10k

/ 10,000 Mile Oil Changes and Sealed Transmissions #4  
I use Mobil 1 and change at 6k. I was running 15w-40. Then my mechanic Son said I running too heavy oil. So I switched to the recomended weight. I think it's 5w-20. 2011 5.7L Hemi.

/ 10,000 Mile Oil Changes and Sealed Transmissions #5  
I doubt you will get 300k miles on the transmission without ever changing the fluid. You might have to pay for the service since it is hard to add fluid back in after a pan drop and filter change. It would be money well spent. I would do it every 75k miles. I had a very well respected transmission shop do this on my daughter's car with the sealed system. It was only 175.00.

/ 10,000 Mile Oil Changes and Sealed Transmissions #6  
And the ONLY way to KNOW if your oil needs changing is to sample it and analyze it.

When I got my 7.3L F350 I was advised to change oil at 3K intervals. I changed to Rotella T6 and started getting Blackstone analysis. I finally got to about 18K miles on the same oil and had it changed. The last analysis showed the oil specs were good but I was having back problems, the dealership had a special and I got it changed for the cost of a gasser (about 6 quarts versus 15).

Do it per mfg specs while under warranty, after that whatever makes you feel good.

/ 10,000 Mile Oil Changes and Sealed Transmissions #7  
I change oil every 5K miles in my vehicles. I change it yearly in my truck since I only get about 3K miles on it. I use regular dino oil in the correct weight given for the engine. I think it's 5W-30 for both car engines. Can't remember on the Chevy.

My Chrysler 300 has the lifetime transmission recommendation also. I'm not going to do that. At 50K it will get a filter and change...no flush. I will also flush the coolant at 50K miles.

My 2000 Century was purchased with 80K one owner miles that had sit in a garage for several years. I bought it in 2014. I had to replace the water pump in 2015. The crud that cane out of the antifreeze was awful. My mechanic flushed it several times. I'm sure it was never changed.

I think most manufacturers realize most folks keep their vehicles between 5-7 years and trade thus the lifetime transmission recommendation. I try to keep my vehicles longer.

/ 10,000 Mile Oil Changes and Sealed Transmissions #8  
We recently sold our TDI Sportwagen back to VW and it had a sealed transmission that required a very elaborate and expensive fluid change at 40,000 miles. Synthetic oil will last a long time in a transmission or gearbox but it would be nice lf they provided a way to inspect and change the oil if required.

/ 10,000 Mile Oil Changes and Sealed Transmissions #9  
I do exactly that with a 2008 4Runner that now has 250K on it. I use Mobil 1 and change the oil, oil filter and air filter every 10K. I do a "drive line" service every 90K (front/rear diffs, Trans and transfer case). I change the cabin air filter whenever I remember it. I change the plugs every 100K.

/ 10,000 Mile Oil Changes and Sealed Transmissions #10  
Spoke with Yota dealer about wife's 4Rnr tranny fluid. He also does not support lifetime tranny no maint. required. The fluids go through thermal cycling and all will degade with time.
There is a complex tool and system procedure for replacing Toyota tranny fluids that is temp. compensated.
Some alternatives are:
measure what is drained from pan and replace amount.
Take to dealer.
Download pdf and perform at home.
Countless threads on forums for doing this.
I will perform the 50k fluid change the lazy way.
drain what's in the pan and replace, (cold temps).
There are many videos out there to help decide. It's your money and we gladly help you spend it :)D) but in this case glad to help with longevity of equipment.
Whatever you decide you'll benefit from the homework first.