10,000 mile RAM 5500 report

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report
They were 6.4’s, but yes they were also pretty bad. Diesels have improved since then, in power, fuel economy and reliability.
Still could be better, but so can just about everything else...

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #32  
So why was the 99 diesel excursion the one that just kept running with zero issues until traded with 280,000 miles?

I think emissions or lack of has something to do with it

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #33  
Oops 6.4's.

Still could be better, but so can just about everything else...

Yeah Roger that.

Congrats on the New 5500 series Ram, they are Very impressive trucks.

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #34  
IF, I want to pull semi loads, I use a semi, they can be bought cheep, much cheaper than a buying a wanna be semi, and are made much better/safer to pull those loads with.

You may see gas powered pu's in the stealership bays, but the bills to do those repairs are a fraction of what it cost to fix diesel problems... Even the maintenance is half and that's just for an oil change!

How do I know that? Because I've been running diesel pu's since I bought my first one in 1982... Now I'm buying new gas trucks and they are doing just fine...

Looks like you already had diesel problems/expenses and went back for more... lol

SR

IF, I want to pull semi loads, I use a semi, they can be bought cheep, much cheaper than a buying a wanna be semi, and are made much better/safer to pull those loads with.

You may see gas powered pu's in the stealership bays, but the bills to do those repairs are a fraction of what it cost to fix diesel problems... Even the maintenance is half and that's just for an oil change!

How do I know that? Because I've been running diesel pu's since I bought my first one in 1982... Now I'm buying new gas trucks and they are doing just fine...

Looks like you already had diesel problems/expenses and went back for more... lol

SR
1. I dont want a semi anymore. Had one and sold it 10 years ago because it cant maneuver smaller customers driveways and gets stuck easily. Many customers don’t want a 20 bale delivery in the residential small farms. I can haul all I need with this truck & trailer. Sounds like you are you saying its light duty gas, like you have, or a semi and everything in between is useless? I see a heck of a lot of the type of truck I run everywhere I go. Guess we all got it wrong?
2. Wanna be? lol... man you are misinformed.
3. If you want to talk smack, at least own something newer than 5-10 years old-diesels have improved greatly. The diesel relics you are referring to from 10 years ago cant hang with the newer ones, unless modified, and even then, its old and rusted, no warranty. Trust me, I know because I was running an 11 year old diesel just 12 months ago. The difference is huge. You get a diesel, or haul 2/3rds as much with gas.
4. If you have a new gas truck and get by with lower, light duty towing specs, low torque, and crap fuel mileage, more power to ya. Yes they are cheaper to fix, but your truck with a heavy (actually light to me) trailer is getting 5MPG and so do I.
5. "already had diesel problems and went back for more" not exactly.... I had 6.4L FORD "diesel problems" and got away from the 6.4L.

Last edited:
   / 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #36  
2019 dally 4 x 4 ram with over 31,000 miles, HO with Asian transmission and I think 4:10 rear end. Fuel mileage truck only with about a bit over a ton of tools (they never ever come out ) in the back on the highway at 70 to 80 is a little over 14 mpg. Almost all of my driving is local with 8,000 to 17,000 lb trailor including trailor cargo. Getting around 10 to 11 mpg most of the time. 32,000 gross a few times, highway at 80 pulls it down to about 8 mpg. Truck pulls with a freaking LOT of get up and go. The heavier the load, the more the turbo boost kicks in on these rigs. The exhaust brake or whatever the correct term is work really really really well. Better than any of the Chevy and Ford trucks friends have that I have ran.

Saw a noticeable bit better mileage at 10 or 12 thousand and at 25 thousand or so it really got better, if you can call what I get as better :)

Number one daily annoyance I have is that I preferred the older style mirrors. These new ones have the bottom portion as all wide angle. Fine for road use and changing lanes but absolutely sucks when backing up into tight spaces , which I do do many times a day. Also wish they had 50 gal fuel tanks standard.

Big Horn with the upgraded package and plenty of bells and whistles I did not really care about when I bought it, but will say they are nice.

Edit: Will also say the cab warms up a LOT faster than my old 06’ did. Has louvers that open and close on the radiator and its sure nice.

Last edited:
   / 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #37  
We had sone pretty sporty discussion, in the last gas versus diesel thread, but no doubt about it-YOU have no business getting a gas engine to tow that heavy.

To the point:

What is your truck set up like? Over 10k is pretty heavy, for just the truck.

What trailer are you using?

Do you figure all your mileage, by hand, or are you relying on the computer?

We had sone pretty sporty discussion, in the last gas versus diesel thread, but no doubt about it-YOU have no business getting a gas engine to tow that heavy.

To the point:

What is your truck set up like? Over 10k is pretty heavy, for just the truck.

What trailer are you using?

Do you figure all your mileage, by hand, or are you relying on the computer?

My truck is set up as follows: Ram 5500 crew cab 4x4 with a 9’ aluminum flatbed with (4) tool boxes. 40,000lb rated gooseneck hitch and a 20,000lb rated bumper pull hitch. It weighs 10,500lbs with a tank of fuel.
Trailer: Kaufman 38,500lb 35’ gooseneck with 3” ball. Max load capacity is 14 tons. Typical load is 12 tons of hay or a 10,000lb-20,000lb farm tractor.
I am ordering a 20,000lb deck over dump trailer as soon as they start making them again (due to Covid, most have discontinued deck over dumps).
I do both hand calc mileage and the trucks computer and so far the computer is spot on.

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #40  
Will say that the computer on my 2019 is just a little over the actual mileage on all highway use. Local driving it will be a couple miles per gallon high, about 20% in my case. I suspect it has issues with use of fuel when idling?