$1000 Coolant Change

applepicker

Tractor
Kubota BX2230
On 12/19/13 I changed my anti freeze with Fleet Charge in my BX2230. In past years I have used FLEET CHARGE. I did so again following the procedure outlined in the directions. After 5 hours running time the anti freeze turned milky/caulky and completely clogged my radiator. My Kubota dealer has never seen such incident as this. I now have to replace the core and the total bill will approach $1000. Has anyone had a similar experience with Fleet or other coolants?

Last edited:

Hooked_on_HP

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E
I would bet you have something else getting into the cooling system. My first guess would be oil.
Bill

OP
A

applepicker

Tractor
Kubota BX2230
The Kubota dealer did a complete check and no oil in coolant nor coolant in oil.

ritschner

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 HST, Kubota Z781KWTi
I run Prestone Heavy Duty coolant that is SCA precharged in my L2800 with no issues. I tend to agree with Hooked. Even then I would be skeptical about completely clogging the radiator to the point it can not be cleaned. A second opinion might be in order.

Paystar

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
I don't know what you had.....but you cannot mix green and ELC coolants....they will make mud.
Some brands of ELC will not "get along" with each other either.

OP
A

applepicker

Tractor
Kubota BX2230
I drained the radiator and took the contents to the dealership. After standing overnight two layers appear. A pinkish upper(coolant color) and a milky, thickish bottom layer. If oil is in the coolant, shouldn't it be apparent and be on top? I just did an experiment with the Fleet and Rotilla oil and it does not look like what drained from my radiator.

OP
A

applepicker

Tractor
Kubota BX2230
I had Fleet Charge in the tractor for the previous 2 years and just changed using with the same brand/type after flushing system to clear water.

jel1988

Gold Member
Tractor
2012 Mahindra Max 22, John Deere D120
Try mixing a little water with the coolant and repeat your experiment. Let us know if the results are different.