1000ft long, 100ft elevation, twisty, gravel- front or rear mount?

/ 1000ft long, 100ft elevation, twisty, gravel- front or rear mount? #41  
Hi everyone! So sorry for going MIA- I was without my laptop for a few weeks there and couldn't remember where/how to come back to this forum! Just wanted to express my gratitude for all these responses, your experiences and advice are really helpful! I just fished reading them all, now I need to go back through and make notes haha. There's a ton to consider, and though this will be the first winter on this land and with this driveway, we hiked it a ton last winter and know we're up against some deeeeeep snow. There was easily 3-4' of snow (and more where it drifted) last winter, and Nuttby mountain likes to dump 18"+ at a time when Truro only gets 6" haha. My husband and I are going to head into the dealerships next week to see what might be available, I'm keeping an eye on the used tractor ads but not seeing much. I really appreciate all of your thoughts! (and wish you could all come over so I could "test drive" your tractors and get some tips haha)

Not sure your budget and mechanical aptitude, that will influence what you want. 5k, 10k, 25k, 50k, 75k certainly provide contrast in age, size and features.

New machine no issue to find, if you want used I find the local dealers do NOT have older, smaller cheap stuff any more. Central, Green Diamond, Tidal, Fort, Fundy, Nova etc used to have many used tractors on the lot at any given time.

Here is an example of a low budget tractor in New Glasgow I'd look at if it was me:

Farm tractors | Farming Equipment | New Glasgow | Kijiji

585 2wd with 2200 loader and Laurin cab with ice chains. Would handle a 78" blower easy.

Those were a solid tractor new, but like anything, who knows what shape it is in.

Lots of 2wd no loader with blower listed for less money than that.

/ 1000ft long, 100ft elevation, twisty, gravel- front or rear mount?
My lack of mechanical aptitude/experience may be a limitation for older tractors, I think. I'm keen to learn, but we all start somewhere and I'm starting at the very beginning. Though on the other hand... are tractors anything like appliances in that an old one can be fixed and will last forever, where a new one is basically set to expire in 5 years?

Thanks for pointing out that tractor, as well as the names of the local places! We're going to head out to talk to a few of them next week and see what we can see. In terms of budget, we still don't know how much this house is going to end up haha (what a time to build! at least lumber has come down though!). I would say our budget is around the 20-25k range, depending of course on lots of factors. I've got to go back and re-read all of these suggestions, then talk with some of the folks at the dealerships and some farmer friends, and then just get serious about finding something- it's been such a warm Fall but these temperatures cant hold for too much longer!

/ 1000ft long, 100ft elevation, twisty, gravel- front or rear mount? #43  
Easy answer - 4WD, cab, rear mount blower without having to turn around. Capable of handling large snowfall.
Easy answer - 4WD, cab, rear mount blower without having to turn around. Capable of handling large snowfall.
I liked driving those versatile… swivel seat so you can drive forward… made clearing snow easier. Only downside is you needed to take off the loader to use the 3pt hitch

/ 1000ft long, 100ft elevation, twisty, gravel- front or rear mount? #44  
we live on a peninsula on the great lakes...tons of snow... 3/4 mile private gravel drive ..no problem with my setup...front blade on the FEL...rear mounted snowblower....camera so my neck doesnt hurt..

Attachments

• C54Sz6LUSHm+4JVgDmmBSg.jpg
    C54Sz6LUSHm+4JVgDmmBSg.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 86
   / 1000ft long, 100ft elevation, twisty, gravel- front or rear mount? #45  
My lack of mechanical aptitude/experience may be a limitation for older tractors, I think. I'm keen to learn, but we all start somewhere and I'm starting at the very beginning. Though on the other hand... are tractors anything like appliances in that an old one can be fixed and will last forever, where a new one is basically set to expire in 5 years?

Thanks for pointing out that tractor, as well as the names of the local places! We're going to head out to talk to a few of them next week and see what we can see. In terms of budget, we still don't know how much this house is going to end up haha (what a time to build! at least lumber has come down though!). I would say our budget is around the 20-25k range, depending of course on lots of factors. I've got to go back and re-read all of these suggestions, then talk with some of the folks at the dealerships and some farmer friends, and then just get serious about finding something- it's been such a warm Fall but these temperatures cant hold for too much longer!

My mindset is older, basic stuff (mechanical pump, no DPF, DEF, dry clutch, gear drive etc) will last forever and average person won't wear it out, parts are still around for the legacy brands that are 30,40,50+ years old. Cosmetic parts etc might not common, but the mechanical stuff to keep it running isn't a big issue. I'm honestly more worried about diesel fuel being obsolete before the older stuff will be dead.

For a 20-25 K budget should be ample to get something decent, even new if you go smaller and basic.

If you are closest to Truro... Central, Tidal & Green Diamond are the MF/Kubota/NH/CIH/Deere legacy brand options. Pattersons is near Green Diamond and sells LS, Zetor, McCormick etc.

I'd hate to be building now.....was 21C yesterday, not October weather. Snow will come :)