1020 Info please

/ 1020 Info please #1  

dullpain

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 4 WD w/ FEL, Kioti CK4010SE HST, 21' Flatbed Gooseneck Trlr.
Need info on a 1020 as I am unfamiliar with JD. Tractor is clean, sheet metal very straight. Paint is good. Tires good. Gasoline engine. Hours unknown. Runs good. 2 wheel drive, wide front end.

What years were these produced? Horsepower rating? Average selling price?

thanks

/ 1020 Info please #2  
The 1020 tractor was one of the first Deere utility tractors to mimmick Ford's blueprint for a utility tractor. A nice, small nimble machine. A big improvement over the 1010 or 2010, in my opinion.

The 1020 was built from 1965 to 1973 and was available with a gas or diesel engine. I think that the gas engine was a 135 cubic-inch 3-cylinder while the diesel was 152 cubic-inches.

Horsepower was 39 PTO. Weight was around 4,300 pounds. My data is a bit old, but should range from $2,500 to $5,500. I'd say that the gas-powered tractor would be on the lower side.

My father's friend had a 2020 gas for years. (The four-cylinder version of the 1020 with about 15 more horsepower.) It was a good tractor until the 10,000+ hours finally caught up to it.

I think that the 1020 is a good tractor. If the gas engine is OK with you, buy it. Look at it this way, it won't depreciate any more. If it doesn't satisfy your needs, you can sell it with minimal pain.

/ 1020 Info please #3  
May be little late with the info for you, but perhaps of benefit to another prospective 1020 buyer.

I've had a '69 1020 gas engine for 6 years and it's been a GREAT tractor: solid, dependable and very strong and stable for its size.

If you're planning to hang on to it for a while, though, I'd strongly recommend getting one with power steering. It's not that the 1020 is particularly hard to steer, it's really for the flexibility that you'll gain. Tools (auger for instance) are a heck of alot easier to get positioned in the place you need them to be and you can also add a loader.

It is possible to add a power steering kit to a 1020 that didn't come equipped with it (I was seriously contemplating putting PS on mine a couple of years ago). HOWEVER, locating a PS kit is tough and installation is fairly complex. Bottom line when I checked it out was that the cost of doing it didn't just didn't add up...you're miles ahead buying one that already has PS.

Steve from NC