1025R and 2025R comparison

/ 1025R and 2025R comparison #1  

sleuth

Silver Member
Tractor
between tractors
I was disappointed in the price difference between the JD 1025R (quoted $25K) and the JD 2025R (quoted $30K). The sales guy told me that they are virtually the same tractor - same frame, same engine, same tranny, same backhoe, same loader - yet because they can't get the 1025R with the backhoe preinstalled, they mark up the 2025R up 5 grand and install it at the dealer. Does that sound right? I asked him if he could get the 1025R with everything preinstalled and just upgrade the tires at the dealer for less money. He said he would get back to me today.

Are there other significant differences between these 2 tractors?

Last edited:
   / 1025R and 2025R comparison #2  
I don't think this will work. Although the engines and hydraulics are the same, I think the axles are different. I'm not sure if there is enough clearance on the rear fenders of a 1025R for large tires. More importantly, the axle ratios must be different because the diameter ratio of front to rear tires is different. The tire width of the two tractors is the same, but the 1025 has 10" and 12" rims while the 2025 has 12" and 16.5" rims. Putting large rims on a 1025 would quickly destroy the drive train in 4WD.

Why the price difference? My guess is the 1025 is a bit of a "loss leader" to provide a more attractive entry level tractor while the 2025 is what one would really want if you need more than a hyped up garden tractor. If you really need a backhoe, you want the larger tires and greater ground clearance.

/ 1025R and 2025R comparison #3  
It’s true the power train is the same, the hydraulics are not. The 2025r has a different pump that in theory give the hydraulics more power. In the real world the difference isn’t that great. I‘m surprised the difference is that much, I had heard it was more like $2k.

I owned a Kubota BX for 10 years and bought a 2025r two years ago and there is no way I’d go back to the smaller chassis size. I wish I could point out more differences that make a 2025r so much better but I can’t. One thing that does come to mind is road speed, the 2025r does 12 mph vs 8 mph for a 1025r.

Prices have gone up. 2 years ago mine with an end loader, 60 mid mount mower, rim guard in the tires, and a set of forks was $21k out the door.

The bigger tires won’t fit a 1 series, they are significantly bigger.

/ 1025R and 2025R comparison #5  
I was disappointed in the price difference between the JD 1025R (quoted $25K) and the JD 2025R (quoted $30K). The sales guy told me that they are virtually the same tractor - same frame, same engine, same tranny, same backhoe, same loader - yet because they can't get the 1025R with the backhoe preinstalled, they mark up the 2025R up 5 grand and install it at the dealer. Does that sound right? I asked him if he could get the 1025R with everything preinstalled and just upgrade the tires at the dealer for less money. He said he would get back to me today.

Are there other significant differences between these 2 tractors?
I think they shot themselves in the foot by switching from the excellent 130 loader to questionable 120 and eliminating the turning brakes. They did provide a temperature gauge.

/ 1025R and 2025R comparison #6  
@sleuth, After reading those 1025R vs. 2025R threads, check back and let us know what you're tractor needs really are. If you're buying a backhoe, belly mower and maybe some upgrades like R3 radial turf tires or other attachments, the sky is the limit and Deere will gladly empty your bank account. But buying a bigger frame size, rear PTO finish or flail or bush hog, along with a stump bucket for the FEL will save thousands and give you more work power on both loader and likely PTO for those price ranges. Avoiding the belly mower $3K+ total price for frame and mower deck and the 2025R will run a 5' finish or flail easy from the rear PTO with a lot better reliability long term versus the finicky belly mower (got stumps or rocks anywhere, and see how long it takes to hit). A nice Deere frame stump bucket from Titan Attachments USA will be be $800 vs. $5K for the backhoe (and you can rent a backhoe those rare times the bucket doesn't do). Put the savings into frame size, FEL capability and HP typically to be happier long term. Buying rear weights on a weight bar gives you flexibility to mow or load up ballast for loader work to keep the weight down for mowing around the house as well. Just ideas to avoid being sucked into $25K for a subcompact.

/ 1025R and 2025R comparison #7  
The sales guy told me that they are virtually the same tractor - same frame, same engine, same tranny, same backhoe, same loader

You need to find a different dealer (or at least a different salesman at that dealer). They use some of the same hydraulic components but they are NOT the same tractor, not even close. Different frames, axles, brakes, transmissions, and lots of other components.

The 1025 is considered "subcompact", a category between garden tractors and compact ag tractors. Subcompacts use a garden-tractor-type frame but are a little bigger and have very limited loader and 3-point capabilities. This lets homeowners use it for mowing/snow removal 90% of the time then add other "toys" as needed for short projects. Things like a backhoe and 3-point attachments are not meant to be used for long amounts of time on subcompacts. So they are designed more for mowing with the possibility to add limited attachment use.

The 2025 is a true compact ag tractor (although at the lower end of the horsepower range). It has a much stronger/larger frame design than the 1025 and is meant more for loader and 3-point work. It is kind of the reverse of the 1025 where it's main function is as a tractor with attachments but you can add a mid-mount finish mower for the 10-20% of it's time that you want to mow your yard (but there are better machines out there for mowing).

jsb2b's links have better discussion about the differences. But the fact that your sales guy told you that proves he has no business selling these things so I would look for somebody else.

/ 1025R and 2025R comparison
You need to find a different dealer (or at least a different salesman at that dealer). They use some of the same hydraulic components but they are NOT the same tractor, not even close. Different frames, axles, brakes, transmissions, and lots of other components.

Agreed. That’s what I’ve discovered as well. However it’s moot for me. I ended up choosing the Kioti CX2510.

/ 1025R and 2025R comparison #9  
Have you checked out the 2032R?
1025 and 2025 are significantly different. Did you go sit in them?
Even the 2025 > 2032 is a clear difference in size and features.

/ 1025R and 2025R comparison #10  
@sleuth, Congrats on the decision! Nice machine with small size, but also more weight than the Deere's in question... We'll be eager to hear how the dealer experience was and overall experience is with it as you get bolder on projects over time. Seems a good rig when used properly. Just couldn't find one locally when I was shopping late last fall...