20210108_133225.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210108_133202.jpeg
    20210108_133202.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
   / 1026R Mid PTO Oil Seal
Did those pictures show up?
I'm working on the phone, through the App and can't see my pic's.

/ 1026R Mid PTO Oil Seal #5  
Yes the picts are definitely there.

/ 1026R Mid PTO Oil Seal
What's up?
Apologies for the delay. I've upgraded my laptop and yes, the pic's are there. They are of the oil seal for the Mid-PTO on a 1026R (And other models.)

My query was related to the installation of this oil seal which has a metal outer shield integral with the seal itself.

I hadn't seen this type of seal previously.

When looking at the Parts Diagram it originally (last year) showed the seal as being installed from inside the transmission.(The dotted-line style of 'directions')
I asked the dealer whether this was correct or could the seal be replaced from the outside without splitting the trans. ?
The dealer told me it was inserted from the inside, so yes, split the trans. They gave me a 4-figure quote to do this work.

That 'bothered' me a bit as I didn't think JD would be so awkward about a seal but hey, who knows?

I waited over christmas and attempted to ask on here hence the OP.
Then I rechecked the Parts Diagram to be sure of my facts and it has since been redrawn to show the seal inserted from outside the trans.

So I drilled into the seal shield, inserted the two self-tappers and levered the old seal out.
Phew!
Then I installed the new seal. All good.

That's all. That's what the initial post was to be about.

I used to work for this dealer. The tractor wasn't in production when I left.
Hence I had no knowledge of the replacement procedure or access to the Service Advisor tech manual.

(The erroneous advice to split the trans is consistant with why I left there to work for myself. )

Thanks for your patience.