10w-30 diesel rated oil

/ 10w-30 diesel rated oil #1  

jonsstihl

Veteran Member
where do you guys find your oil for kubota's. my manual says to use 10w-30 so I don't want to put 15w 40 in it especially since we do get -20 or -30 degree weather every once in a while up here.

all they have on the shelf is 15w-40 or 10w-40

the only 10w-30 I found that was rated CF was crappy motomaster branded oil at canadian tire. I think my tractor is worthy of a name brand oil.

my dealer said I shouldn't go with synthetic until 600 hours, I'm at 156 hours now. any truth to this myth

thanks

/ 10w-30 diesel rated oil #2  
where do you guys find your oil for kubota's. my manual says to use 10w-30 so I don't want to put 15w 40 in it especially since we do get -20 or -30 degree weather every once in a while up here.

thanks

My Kubota dealer has it on the shelf from quarts thru 5 gallons. I have seen Rotella t 10-30 in various stores also. You may have to call a real oil supplier.

/ 10w-30 diesel rated oil #3  
Mobil one is CF rated..as is Mobil 5000, I use Mobil one full synthetic and I started using it at 300 hours. My belief is use synthetic once the engine is broken in...150+ hours.

/ 10w-30 diesel rated oil #4  
In my area Shell Rotella T is available in 10W30 at Walmart and O'Reilly auto parts. I run this oil in my New Holland TC 34DA without issue.

/ 10w-30 diesel rated oil #5  
If your looking for a high quality motor oil that's made in Canada you might try Texas Refinery Corp.'s Canada facilities. They have manufacturing plants in Saskatchewan and Toronto. Give Yvette Lopez a call, she is the Quebec Sales Manager (speeks French and English), Phone: (800) 827-0711. They have synthetic blend or pure PAO synthetic oils available.

You shouldn't have any problems switching to synthetic at 156 hours. It's broken in by now.

/ 10w-30 diesel rated oil
thanks guys, I went to a car parts store and found some castrol tection hd in 10w30 but it is 19.00 a gallon

also went to a tractor trailer dealer and found some esso xd-3 in 10w30 for 4$ a quart.

about the synthetic, my dealer said some newer tractors had trouble with oil consumption after switching to synthetic. but I figured mine would be broken in at 150 hrs so I was surprised when he said to wait until 600 hrs. At this rate it will take my fifteen years before I can switch to synthetics.

two different walmarts up here only have 15w40 diesel rated oils I guess I will have to try one south of the border. I will also try an autozone or advance auto south of the border to see if I can get the price down a little.

I think I will stick to dino for this year and switch to synthetic next fall. I don't use my tractor very hard in hot weather just small jobs around the house or hauling wood out of the woods, no bush hogging or plowing

/ 10w-30 diesel rated oil #7  
I think I will stick to dino for this year and switch to synthetic next fall. I don't use my tractor very hard in hot weather just small jobs around the house or hauling wood out of the woods, no bush hogging or plowing
Remember that, before there were synthetics, dino oils worked well in lots of diesels for thousands of hours, doing extreme duty in extreme heat and cold, so, any HDEO, whether dino or synthetic, will do a fine job in the heat. The primary reason I like synthetics for my diesel stuff is that I can use a 0W or 5W-40, and get easier cold startups, plus the lighter oil pumps through the engine faster during those critical first few seconds when most wear occurs. ;)

/ 10w-30 diesel rated oil #8  
My 240D (25 years old and 220k miles) was switched to Mobil 1 4 years ago. At first, it seemed to use a tad more oil, but now it uses about the same as what it did on dino oils, about 1/2 quart at around 2k miles or so.

I switched an old Gravely 12 hp gas engine to Mobil 1. It had always used some oil, much like a Benz does. After the 3rd change on Mobil 1, it was using almost no oil, and the oil stayed the same bright color.

Main things I like about synthetic are 2: 1) only need to change once/year; 2) can now get 0w30 oil which gives much better protection at startup. They will reduce fuel consumption/add hp about 3-4%. Think my figures on fuel consumption are down around 3%, approx. 1 mpg on all our 30 mpg vehicles. All my engines (except for the generator; got the container sitting on top it to remind me to change to 0w30 Mobil 1 next time I run it) are on 0w30 Mobil 1 now. Got a $5 rebate off the first 5 quart container of it. The 240D has about a 50/50 mix of some leftover 5w40 and new 0w30 in it.

Ralph

/ 10w-30 diesel rated oil #9  
Valvoline SynPower 10w30 is CF rated. Walfart carries it.

Dean

/ 10w-30 diesel rated oil #10  
I use Shell Rotella 15w-40 to 45 below. And we get a couple 40 below cold snaps a year. I have 3 diesel trucks and a tractor. Back when I was a mechanic I worked on several fleets that all we used was rotella and we never lost a engine or had problems due to cold starting with this oil.

On my vehicles I have a 15 dollar oil pan heater just to help cold starts. My bota has a 50 watt silicon heater glued to the oil pan. It really helps for easier starts and most people use a block heater at that temp anyway.