12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ?

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
Is it possible for me to hit my neighbors house?

The deer tend to come out into a clearing, that when I see them, they are usually at is at an elevation higher than my vantage point (i.e. it would be an uphill shot). A definite no-no with high powered rifles. But what about a 12 gauge slug?

Looking at the picture, the worst case scenario would be shooting from down in a gully (at the right end of the red line shown) at deer 100'-150' away, uphill, still in the clearing. The house (at the left end of the red line) is about 1300' away (horizontally) and 160' (vertically) above me.

If I aimed too high, and was shooting at (say) a 45 degree angle upward (worst case?), could the slug land 1300' away at an elevation 160' above me?

I know the correct answer is don't chance it, shot from a different position, etc.. but....is it physically possible?

12 guage.jpg

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #2  
From the internet, Winchester says max range for a slug is 1068 yards, way more than the distance to that house.

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #3  
The ballistics of a "rifled slug" is way to vague to give an accurate answer. You will need to know the ammo and it's characteristics before one could know for sure.
Most of these calculations are done in yards/meters and not feet. 1300' or a little over 400 yards is a bit close. However, hunting in the southern part of Illinois (or other large dry land farming regions) shotguns are required because of the proximity to structures and people.

The link below is one of the "worst cases" with regards to a slug. In other words it tends to shoot farther and flatter than most other options. Note the projectile has lost over 1/2 of its energy and dropped over 9" by 200 yards.
With regards to what is safe- consider your loved on is standing at your neighbor's house. Any decision to fire should be done with that frame of mind.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/shotgun/12-ga-sst-300-gr-ftx-slug

I've never studied "buck shot" but that may be an option for a 50 yard shot. Again, I don't know those ballistics though.

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ?
Buck shot is probably much safer, except for the deer, but maybe not legal.

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #5  
If you get serious about this your other option is a nice black powder rig. You could work up a load that would only be lethal to 80 yards or so. I'm not sure you can do that with shotgun slug- I've never tried to reload shotgun rounds

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ?
Is there a good website or app that shows trajectory for a 1 oz (440 grain) projectile that is shot at 1800 fps at 45 degrees (worst case). Or do I have to dig out the Physics books?

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #7  
Coby, if there are ANY doubts at all, no way would I take that shot. Many deer are not worth any chance of an accident. No. Don't shoot.

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #8  
Coby, if there are ANY doubts at all, no way would I take that shot. Many deer are not worth any chance of an accident. No. Don't shoot.

Bing Bing Bing! MacLawn has the right answer. If you have to wonder if this is a good idea, then it is NOT. Too many things can go wrong here.

Later,
Dan

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #9  
Winchester Sabot slug shot up at 45 degrees.

SSP12- 12Ga. 385 gr. @ 1900 fps: 2,971 Yards

Allow at least 200-300 yards more for downwind shots.

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #10  
Is there a good website or app that shows trajectory for a 1 oz (440 grain) projectile that is shot at 1800 fps at 45 degrees (worst case). Or do I have to dig out the Physics books?

You need the ballistic coefficient of the projectile to figure it- then their are lots of free online calculators.