12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #141  
I’m sorry, but that’s just plain nuts doing that. You are getting crushed on not only depreciation, but sales tax.
Sounds like a mental disease.
Uh oh. shots fired! :ROFLMAO:

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #143  
I'm amazed some of you folks have the patience to wait a year or two for a new vehicle you have ordered, especially the fact of not being locked into a firm price, and not knowing for sure IF it will ever be delivered. My OCD will not allow me to wait, and wait, and wait. If I decide I want another vehicle, I do my research, and when I find what I want, at the price I am willing to pay, the deal gets done, very quickly.
I certainly don't, and can't even wait for a dealer to get a lot vehicle ready for me in a couple of days. I quit buying new, and only buy privately now. The deal can be done in the same day. No waiting, no wondering, no loss of sleep.

The only disadvantage to buying from a private seller is having the cash available or having to wait for the check to clear the bank.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #144  
I buy new because I have a GM credit card, and the points lower the price of the car. Saved $4500 on the 2022 Silverado we bought last year by using credit card points. And that is on top of other discounts - $500 first responder and $2000 dealer incentives. I'm willing to wait 3 months to get exactly the options we wanted at the price no other manufacturer could match.
I did something similar back in 2003. I bought a new Chevy Silverado 4WD with a sticker price of $19,000. In round numbers, I applied discounts from my GM card of $5000, GM supplier discount of $2200, GM credit for a vehicle with an interior gas tank of $2500, GM loyalty discount of $1200 and actually paid $8,100 for the truck. I got $12,500 when I traded it for a new 2012 GMC Sierra.

I used that Chevy for almost 9 years and made $4,400 on the deal! That'll never happen again.

I got a letter from GM shortly after the 2012 purchase saying that all those discounts were not allowed to be combined. The dealer made an error and they would be responsible. I felt a bit guilty since the dealer owner is a friend so I showed him the letter. After some investigating, He found that GM had actually taken the loss and did not pass it on to the dealership.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!
We have always bought new and driven the vehicle 'till the wheels fell off'. Or until our requirements changed. For example, when I really didn't need a pickup but needed something a little better on gas than the 15mpg I was getting with my 1993 Dakota and traded for a 2007 RAV4. Which was traded in 2015 for a 2014 Ford F150. That trade was because my requirements had changed again. Well, let me back up. That is for my use, my wife and daughters, when they were still at home, drove new vehicles because I have had to stop and help females broke down on the road too many times. The thought of THAT scared me.

RSKY

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #146  
I,m amazed some of you folks have the patience to wait a year or two for a new vehicle you have ordered, especially the fact of not being locked into a firm price, and not knowing for sure IF it will ever be delivered. My OCD will not allow me to wait, and wait, and wait. If I decide I want another vehicle, I do my research, and when I find what I want, at the price I am willing to pay, the deal gets done, very quickly.
I certainly don,t, and cann,t even wait for a dealer to get a lot vehicle ready for me in a couple of days. I quit buying new, and only buy privately now. The deal can be done in the same day. No waiting, no wondering, no loss of sleep.
I think this depends on where you live and how much you have to spend. Times change and so do an individual's needs & wants.

In my case, like you, I bought 4 used trucks from private sellers over the years. Two turned out ok but the other two were disasters. The transfer case failed on one after just 500 miles. My state had no "lemon law" at the time so I had to eat the repair cost. When you buy from a private owner, kick the tires and check your state laws. You could be buying someone else's headache. I did buy another used truck after that bad experience but it was from a dealer who offered a limited warranty.

I've been buying vehicles, both new and used all my life and settling for the way they were equipped. I never did find one with everything I wanted. At my age, the 2022 GMC Sierra I just bought might well be my last. For once, I got a ride with all the bells & whistles I wanted. I didn't mind waiting 18 months since my trade in vehicle was running fine. It actually went up in value during the wait due to the pandemic. The dealer also honored the original price so there was no concern about an increase.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #147  
Costco puts nitrogen in tires they install at no cost.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #148  
Those trucks are not meant to sit for long periods; certainly not months at a time. They're being delivered with surface rust, electrical issues, windshield leaks, all kinds of various problems that may not have existed otherwise.
But is that any different than a vehicle sitting on a dealership lot for months like in the old days? A vehicle sitting shouldn't cause a leak if one didn't exist before.
I buy new because I have a GM credit card, and the points lower the price of the car. Saved $4500 on the 2022 Silverado we bought last year by using credit card points. And that is on top of other discounts - $500 first responder and $2000 dealer incentives. I'm willing to wait 3 months to get exactly the options we wanted at the price no other manufacturer could match.
Dealer incentives??? Is there even such a thing anymore?
As far as getting "exactly the options you want", I wasn't aware you could do that anymore. Thought you were still stuck with packages, and it never failed the one option you wanted required you to buy a (much) higher priced package with a bunch of crap you didn't want. I suppose if you're picky on color or something.
I,m amazed some of you folks have the patience to wait a year or two for a new vehicle you have ordered, especially the fact of not being locked into a firm price, and not knowing for sure IF it will ever be delivered. My OCD will not allow me to wait, and wait, and wait. If I decide I want another vehicle, I do my research, and when I find what I want, at the price I am willing to pay, the deal gets done, very quickly.
I certainly don,t, and cann,t even wait for a dealer to get a lot vehicle ready for me in a couple of days. I quit buying new, and only buy privately now. The deal can be done in the same day. No waiting, no wondering, no loss of sleep.
I hear ya. No way would I want to go that route either. I'm not OCD, it's just that I don't make plans to replace vehicles that far out.
Private sale is fine if you can find someone selling what you want, and it doesn't have hidden issues. That seems to work better with older vehicles than relatively late model.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #149  
I’m sorry, but that’s just plain nuts doing that. You are getting crushed on not only depreciation, but sales tax.
Sounds like a mental disease.
He didn’t even buy tires. It used to cost him about $4000 to trade, when he was telling me about it 20 years ago. Sales tax is reduced by his trade, he only had to pay it on the difference. His trucks were just like brand new when he traded… the only thing lacking was the warranty.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #150  
Costco puts nitrogen in tires they install at no cost.
The 100% nitrogen is a scam.
Tires filled with nitrogen maintain inflation pressure longer than compressed air-filled tires in fluctuating temperatures. This is why nitrogen is used to fill airplane tires, as temperatures can change dramatically between takeoff and landing. Since nitrogen does not completely eliminate temperature-related pressure changes under normal driving conditions, it is of little benefit to vehicle owners who properly maintain their tires.
Air is 75% Nitrogen so I'm good with that.