12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #1  

Rob41

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
On my main barn I have the standard sliding doors but I'd like to upgrade to an electric roll up or panel type bay door and I've got a few questions.

My opening is 12' h x 16' wide.

1) Is there much of a cost difference?
2) Will one hold up better to windy conditions?
3) What are the pros and cons of each type if there is even much of a difference.

With the basic sliding doors I have to latch hooks on the side, the center, set a 15' 2x8 on brackets and latch to the doors and finally set a 16' 4x6 across the bottom to keep blowing snow out. I know I can change that arrangement that was in place when I bought it, but I really just want the convenience of an automatic door. My main concern is that it be strong enough to deal with windy/inclement weather and actually last.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #2  
I have a 12’x16’ steel panel door for my shop. Didn’t really even consider a roll up door of the same size as it would have been cost prohibitive. I have a Liftmaster jack shaft drive garage door opener on it as well-couldn’t be happier

Btw-I’m at 3200’ in NE WA. Plenty of wind and snow. Door has sealed fine and is sufficiently insulating.

IMG_1017.JPG

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door
Very nice, I'd like the window panes also. Did you buy locally or online.

Also, did you do the install?

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #4  
This was sourced from a local garage door company that also did the install-I’m not a fan of installing torsion spring door counterbalances ( and the springs on this door are pretty impressive).

Door is a Wayne-Dalton.

Thanks for the info. I may contact my local garage door installers as well.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #6  
No problems-good luck with the modification.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #7  
I have a 10x16 clopay panel door with a jackshaft opener as well.

_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_20200301_121920.jpg

Nice. Looks like the panel doors are the way to go.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #9  
I have a 10ft x16ft wide steel panel door from Preston Feather Building Center un Gaylord, MI. It is insulated and has a steel liner inside. It faces northwest where the wind comes from. No problem with snow blowing in. A bit heavy, but an opener some day. PM me if more info needed. Jon

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #10  
I placed a roll up door with enclosed opener on my shop 10 years ago. I liked the roll up because i didnt want the tracks to interfere with my ceiling clearance.

the opener is built into the door cylinder itself. Unit is called Gliderol