12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #11  
I've had both panel doors and rollup doors. There are pros & cons to both. The panel seal better, the rollup take less space. Both will stand up to hurricanes if properly braced when installed. However, I found out there are 2 styles of rollup doors. There is one where the axle of the roll is at the bottom of the header and leaves a gap at the top big enough for birds to fly in when it is rolled down. You really don't want that. You want the door to seal at the top as well so the roll has to be mounted higher. The rollup require more headroom than the panel doors.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #12  
They do sell a reinforcement piece that goes on the back side of the door to help with wind when I lived on the coast it was a must on my 16ft door.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door
They do sell a reinforcement piece that goes on the back side of the door to help with wind when I lived on the coast it was a must on my 16ft door.
The wind probably isn't that bad here. It just seems bad at times when I'm trying to close and secure the lightweight sliding barn doors I have. It's a hassle to keep lugging the 4x6x16 into place every time I secure the doors for overnight.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #14  
Good advice above. I build auto dealerships for a living. Our go to for durability / daily use with no space issues are insulated sectional doors ( with appropriate wind ratings for region) with jackshaft commercial operators. We only use coiling where space is restricted.

high speed coiling (Rytec) - fastest/ most expensive
Sectional - durable/ decent speed
Coiling - slow/space saving.
All have their uses.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #15  
I have a jackshaft opener as well. I had the installer run the side rails as high as possible to give me more clearance when the door is open. I come in under a gable end and have scissor trusses for the run. Since I have a vehicle lift about 20' inside I wanted the door, when open, as far up as possible.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #16  
Sometimes they add more ribs/struts/ beef up hinges in wind borne debris. 16’ is A big door in a coastal area.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #17  
I have a jackshaft opener as well. I had the installer run the side rails as high as possible to give me more clearance when the door is open. I come in under a gable end and have scissor trusses for the run. Since I have a vehicle lift about 20' inside I wanted the door, when open, as far up as possible.
We do this in areas with forklift access for mezzanines. Call them vertical lift.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #18  
This will be the first winter for my 16'x13'6" door. Labour was quoted at 800.00 + 12% taxes. Because I'm old and slow and picky the install took about 16 hours working alone. My jackshaft operator isn't installed yet but I now realize that it doesn't push the top closed as well as the more conventional style. There are adjustments to keep the gap at a minimum but time will tell if this works very well. I agree about the springs but I had the convenience of working off scaffolding. Sure beats rolling up a tarp.
046.JPG

Last edited:
   / 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #19  
We do this in areas with forklift access for mezzanines. Call them vertical lift.
I go about 4' vertical then transition to horizontal. I wish I had the height to go clear up vertically.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #20  
I have the wall mounted operators as well and as far as I'm concerned it is the only way to go.