12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #31  
There is no hardware attached to the ceiling so I don't whack my head on the opener when I'm standing on top of my antique fire truck. I can also raise the loader all the way to the ceiling when doing things like pulling an engine.

A high lift or vertical lift door requires a jack shaft opener.

“normal headroom” uses a trolley operator. There are some cases where a jack shaft can be used……we try hard to not get stuck in those situations.

A local car dealership has normal headroom doors going above a drop ceiling. The door barely clears mechanicals in the ceiling. We used jackshaft openers on those doors with some accessories to keep the cables from falling off. It works……I was against doing it though.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #32  
Looks like a lot of opinions as you probably expected, go with what you think and live with it. Both are good doors and both have their pros and cons

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #33  
My shop is similar to repete. I have a pair 10'x10' insulated panel doors and a 13' inside ceiling. I wanted the door to hug the ceiling so I could get a car lift in there someday. The installer referred to this configuration as "high lift" vs conventional where they just turn the track horizontal slightly above the top of the door. In my case the track continues straight up, slightly angled back until it gets about a foot from the ceiling, where it finally turns horizontal.

The one thing he made sure to warn me was that if I wanted to put an opener on it later that only a jack shaft opener would work. So that may be the issue for many types of doors. I just finished putting them in now, 8 years later. They do take up less room but you have to plan for the outlet in the right spot, which may not be obvious to most people. I'm glad the installer told me so I could put the outlets in the right spots. They do perform differently than regular openers. They start and stop rather slow and have a solenoid lock pin that automatically retracts and extends when the door is opening/closed. Otherwise you could basically lift the door up from the outside by hand.

Here's a view:
View attachment 724493
I installed an on/off switch (basic light switch) for the opener under the opener that feeds the outlet beside the opener so I could kill the door if I had something under it. I do not have a reversing sensor on the bottom edge of the door. I also have a backup chain pull on my opener as well.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #34  
Good to see someone knowledgeable about doors!!!

Rytec is probably the “Cadillac”!of high speed doors.
We’ve been doing alot of Hormann/Flexon high speeds lately. Long term I don’t have an opinion yet…….short term is promising.
Just wrote a change today changing from sectional to Rytec on a ne build. Opening is 14’x16’-2”. Sectional was $13,000. Rytec was $29,000. We typical have 4-6 Rytecs per store.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #35  
A high lift or vertical lift door requires a jack shaft opener.

“normal headroom” uses a trolley operator. There are some cases where a jack shaft can be used……we try hard to not get stuck in those situations.

A local car dealership has normal headroom doors going above a drop ceiling. The door barely clears mechanicals in the ceiling. We used jackshaft openers on those doors with some accessories to keep the cables from falling off. It works……I was against doing it though.
We have done a few like this, PITA for everyone but architect. We just changed one to a Rytec that was designed as sectional over a hard ceiling.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #36  
We have done a few like this, PITA for everyone but architect. We just changed one to a Rytec that was designed as sectional over a hard ceiling.
Rytec low headroom?

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #37  
Not this one, spiral type. see pic. That ceiling is an led light with a fabric lense. It’s about $25k

The do have a tracked low headroom model. Did two in a Volvo store in Chicago. It’s slightly slower.

Attachments

• 2C120CB8-A53D-46AC-BED5-BF9BBB6B16A7.jpeg
    2C120CB8-A53D-46AC-BED5-BF9BBB6B16A7.jpeg
    578.8 KB · Views: 68
   / 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #38  
Not this one, spiral type. see pic. That ceiling is an led light with a fabric lense. It’s about $25k

The do have a tracked low headroom model. Did two in a Volvo store in Chicago. It’s slightly slower.
Chicago eh……..sitting in my house in the southwest burbs of Chicago.