13-year-old girl dies after farming accident

/ 13-year-old girl dies after farming accident #2  
So Sad

/ 13-year-old girl dies after farming accident #3  
Pto driven equipment is never 100% safe unless tractor engine isn't running,fuel drained and battery removed. Seriously,there is no end to ways of being injured or killed.
Neighbor was cutting weeds in his pasture with a rotary cutter when a friend drove in gate,parked,got out of truck and was leaning against side of truck. Neighbor disengaged pto as he approached friend. What could go wrong? Friend was parked where round bales had been fed so there were very few weeds to slow blades after pto was disengaged. Blades picked up hay twine friend was standing on and reeled him in.

/ 13-year-old girl dies after farming accident #4  
These farm accidents involving kids are really sad. When I lived in Orange County, CA in the early 1990s a similar accident occurred.

Accident Kills Granddaughter of Segerstrom - LA Times

That lima bean field was one of the last ones in Orange County. It went out of production soon after the accident and now is now completely residential.

/ 13-year-old girl dies after farming accident #5  
That has got to be tough on her family, especially her father since she was working with him. At that age she was probably proud to be able to help around the farm.

When I was in HS my parents came back from an evening MC ride completely flabbergasted at what they had seen; somebody was out mowing a field with a bush hog and had two kids riding on the mower.

/ 13-year-old girl dies after farming accident #6  
I remember cutting firewood with my grandfather when I was about 10. Buzz saw driven by flat 6 inch pto belt. No guards anywhere. Times have changed.

/ 13-year-old girl dies after farming accident #7  
^^^^
That's what killed Johnny Cash' brother, when they were in their teens. Working around equipment has always been risky, so some of the guards and other covered protective devices are lifesavers. To be completely safe though we would have to live in a bubble; then most likely would die of boredom.

/ 13-year-old girl dies after farming accident #8  
When I was in HS my parents came back from an evening MC ride completely flabbergasted at what they had seen; somebody was out mowing a field with a bush hog and had two kids riding on the mower.
Had you said this happened in N. Tx,I would say it was probably my neighbor. Nicest man you could hope to meet but despite my best efforts to help him realize the danger,he persisted in letting the 2 kids ride on tractor while using a rotary mower. I actually became sick when he did it.

/ 13-year-old girl dies after farming accident #9  
That has got to be tough on her family, especially her father since she was working with him. At that age she was probably proud to be able to help around the farm.

So sad what happened to that little girl. The father? Enough said.

/ 13-year-old girl dies after farming accident #10  
I can not imagine living with the memory of an accident that was my fault or that I could have prevented. I would never be able to forget that moment.:no::no: