1526 HST Treadle, or whatever you call that contraption ...

/ 1526 HST Treadle, or whatever you call that contraption ... #1  

JerryK

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra (2011)5035 HST TLB & (2016)2555 HST Cab & (2017)1526 HST(2018)Cub Cadet Pro Z 154L (1991) Caterpillar E70B
I am putting up with the treadle forward/reverse contraption that is on the right floorboard of this tractor. Keep kind of catching the heal of my right shoe on the durn thing when I go to get off ..... Not a fan..... Could care less about the brakes being on the same side, just use them for a parking brake anywhilst. The side by side pedals on my other two HST's are a far better setup.... Little Mistubishi tractor really runs great, though... And I think the reaching down by my left heal to put her in four by four is also going to be a pain as I get older. I can see me modifying that to put the lever up higher in the future....

/ 1526 HST Treadle, or whatever you call that contraption ... #2  
I agree with bumping it with the heel of my shoe can be annoying but i really prefer it to a side by side petel system. It feels really natural to use my toe/heel for forwards and backwards.

I have gotten off the mahindra and tried to hit a non exhisting petal to back up on other tractors and ive only operated the mahindra about 10-15 hours with 100s of hours on other machines.

/ 1526 HST Treadle, or whatever you call that contraption ... #3  
I am putting up with the treadle forward/reverse contraption that is on the right floorboard of this tractor. Keep kind of catching the heal of my right shoe on the durn thing when I go to get off ..... Not a fan..... Could care less about the brakes being on the same side, just use them for a parking brake anywhilst. The side by side pedals on my other two HST's are a far better setup.... Little Mistubishi tractor really runs great, though... And I think the reaching down by my left heal to put her in four by four is also going to be a pain as I get older. I can see me modifying that to put the lever up higher in the future....

That's what I thought when I test drove one. I couldn't wait to get off of the thing and wound up buying a shuttle. If they'd had a two pedal setup on it I may have an HST today instead. I'd have had to step down a grade in tractor to get an HST that was comfortable for me to drive.

/ 1526 HST Treadle, or whatever you call that contraption ...
Ordered me a set of Cat1 Pat's QA's since the lower 3PT arms are not extendable. Have tilt cyl's coming for the side arms of my 2555 and the 1526 from FitRite [ if he can ever get his crew working faster.. :) ] Just got done filling in a low spot by the rear door of my barn to store all my 3pt stuff. Had the old 5035TLB barking for about three days moving bucket loads of gravel/clay mix. Moved in all the 3PT stuff today with the 1526... and pulled a drag over all my woods trails. Again, the little tractor really runs nice... :)

/ 1526 HST Treadle, or whatever you call that contraption ... #5  
iv always liked the rocker better than the side by side... mainly the ones on the 1526, 3016 max etc... not as much of a fan of the new ones on the 1533-38

/ 1526 HST Treadle, or whatever you call that contraption ...
I actually do not have a real problem with the treadle thing... I can live with using my heel to go in reverse... My problem is that the heel pedal catches on my boot/shoe heel when I try to lift my foot to exit the machine sometimes... Maybe I could bind my feet and wear smaller shoes.... :) It's fixable with a little cutting and welding in the future... moving the heel pedal rearward a couple inches...

/ 1526 HST Treadle, or whatever you call that contraption ... #7  
I think I have average sized feet at size 10 and have never had the "catch the heel" syndrome when exiting the tractor with my B26. My brother in laws New Holland has the side by side and I hate it. One reason is that it tends to creep a bit forward when the pedal is released requiring a tap on the reverse pedal to stop. My B26 stops but even if it tended to creep, I could just rock back to stop forward motion, much easier than trying to find the other pedal.
I guess some folks are just not foot coordinated enough. My BIL has a stiff right leg and says he prefers the pedal to the treadle because it is hard for him to move his ankle but for someone not disabled, I cant see the issue.
TO Each his own though, that is why they make 2 different styles.

I do wish my treadle was on the opposite side from the brakes. I wish someone would make a retrofit bracket to change mine (brakes) to the left side.