1700 series review after 4 years

/ 1700 series review after 4 years #1  

edgarrian

Platinum Member
Tractor
NA
Hello all,

Thought id take the time to write up a review of my 1705 massey that i purchased in the spring of 2016. Seems like reviews happen after the first few months of purchase but you typically dont see a write up after a few years. So...... lets begin.

The implements that I have for my tractor are as follows. Box Blade, Bush Hog, Tiller, Carry All, MMM, and a Trac Vac (leaf gathering). I also have quick attach for my forks and my bucket which is probably one of the best purchases.

Box Blade to cut in driveways, backfill areas, and spreading stone. When i cut driveways out with my box blade Ill typically use the tines as well as put some material in my bucket for added weight. Depending on material but typically i can carry a full box blade of dirt no problem. Depending on material type I can continue to over flow the box but there is no real reason to do that other than for effect. Probably the implement that can make the tractor work the hardest.

Bush HOG I use for keeping my property looking decent. Id like to possibly add this as a service to my excavating business but unsure of how much money a guy can make or if its even worth the hassle. I use this about 3 times a year.

Tiller is another implement not used very often. About as much as I use the Bush Hog. A few times a year. The tractor handles it relatively easy.

Carry All doesn't get used very often at all to be honest. But as you can imagine it requires very little of the tractor.

MMM & Trac Vac is a great piece when together. My leaf gathering is PTO driven so when I engage this it really eats the fuel. This isn't that hard on the tractor but it does make it work.

I also use my tractor for mowing our yard which we have not had to do much of this year b/c its been so dry.

As for my little excavating business Ill use my tractor when i find the need for it. I have moved countless tri-axle loads of dirt and stone. With zero issues. As well as moving brush and logs. I also do these sort of things on my property as well. We do have a wood burning fire place so I use my tractor pretty often during the winter for cutting wood up that has been downed in my woods. I installed a Bro Tek plate for these sort of jobs. As the hydraulic filter is located in a bad area with minimal protection. The plate allows u access to the PTO thats for the MMM. So its value for protection is up there as i have seen a few people damage this filter bc they unknowingly hit it with a branch. Which i believe massey won't cover under warranty.

So as you can see I use my tractor a lot. I believe i have nearly 500 hrs on my tractor as of now.

I have only had a few small issue with my tractor to date.

1) I had a slight skip in the motor that happened every once in a while. I checked all the things i could think of and the problem remained. I took it to the dealer and come to find out the trigger for the seat had worn an area out. So when i hit a bump that would lift my body weight just enough it would cut out b/c it thought i was getting off the tractor. So that was easily rectified.

2) The bolts for the loader mount came loose. I have tightened them once and they have not needed tightened since. I do the check them once in awhile to be sure.

So as you can see the tractor is getting used throughout the year. I do all my maintenance work. I change my engine oil every winter as well as the front axle oil. I do the transmission oil every two years. The tractor is garage kept.

My rating for the tractor would be a 5 star rating. Its been reliable, capable and a joy to have. Even though i have not used the dealer much that too has been a pleasant relationship. So if I were on the market today and thought about buying a used 1700series tractor. I would without hesitation based on my experiences.

Here are some pics of my leaf cleaning. We had a storm last night so as u can imagine it looks like i have not gathered leaves. Oh well another reason to drink a beer and use the tractor.

Side note. At the bottom you will see a photo of my tool box. I have had this on my tractor now for 3 years. Keep in mind I trailer my tractor to jobs and have not lost a tool out of it. So if ur looking for an option for tool placement. I like this one. Its out of the way, not bulky, and the tools are easily accessible.

Shared album - Jake - Google Photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iCHHC6qUcchNe9Gi8

Shared album - Jake - Google Photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iBS8bs3ajFWhvFMw9

/ 1700 series review after 4 years #2  
Thanks for the update, my 1720 only has about 70+ hours and I don't do as much lawn stuff, but I have had 0 issues so far, and must have dug out over 20 stumps from 6" to 24" wide at the trunk. Moved over 10 tons of gravel, cleared out trees and rounds for dozens of large Ash. and moved many tons of dirt and cleared bushes from multiple areas around my property.

The photos and review are great -

/ 1700 series review after 4 years #3  
Awesome review. I would concur for my 2014 1710, that I sold at 575 hours or so and for my 2019 1723, that has 220 hours on it now.

/ 1700 series review after 4 years
Thanks they are good little tractors.

Nice. They are very capable of doing bigger jobs than most would think. I carved out a 175ft driveway for a guy.

Thanks for the update, my 1720 only has about 70+ hours and I don't do as much lawn stuff, but I have had 0 issues so far, and must have dug out over 20 stumps from 6" to 24" wide at the trunk. Moved over 10 tons of gravel, cleared out trees and rounds for dozens of large Ash. and moved many tons of dirt and cleared bushes from multiple areas around my property.

The photos and review are great -

/ 1700 series review after 4 years #6  
I have a 2015 1710 with 408hrs and it's been a marvelous machine. Other than pinching a hydraulic line due to my own stupidity it's been bulletproof! I've done everything from mowing to deep trenching with the hoe down to basement drainage to moving large hunks of concrete and stumps I've removed to moving countless yards or mulch, dirt and stone. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to buy another ...I say buy another because this little work horse has earned it's place in my garage and there it will live for years to come.

I've added a SSQA, front 3rd function, extra lighting on the ROPS soon dual rear remotes. There's nothing this little machine can't do without some patience.

Doing work with the little machine is the best part. I get to enjoy a beer or two while running it. Cheers

I have a 2015 1710 with 408hrs and it's been a marvelous machine. Other than pinching a hydraulic line due to my own stupidity it's been bulletproof! I've done everything from mowing to deep trenching with the hoe down to basement drainage to moving large hunks of concrete and stumps I've removed to moving countless yards or mulch, dirt and stone. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to buy another ...I say buy another because this little work horse has earned it's place in my garage and there it will live for years to come.

I've added a SSQA, front 3rd function, extra lighting on the ROPS soon dual rear remotes. There's nothing this little machine can't do without some patience.

/ 1700 series review after 4 years #9  
Well, I am glad to hear, since I just today purchased a 2018 1715 with about 100 hours on it, FEL but no mower. There is not a MF dealer around me (KY) for 50 miles. But I expect no problems. I will be looking for a belly mower by spring. Any advice on mowing?

/ 1700 series review after 4 years #10  
Well, I am glad to hear, since I just today purchased a 2018 1715 with about 100 hours on it, FEL but no mower. There is not a MF dealer around me (KY) for 50 miles. But I expect no problems. I will be looking for a belly mower by spring. Any advice on mowing?
Get the larger deck and watch your ears(tail lights)