1720 SSS 3 pt hitch will not raise unless loader is curled.

/ 1720 SSS 3 pt hitch will not raise unless loader is curled. #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
This is the first time my 1720 has not operated properly.
I have 3060 hours on it and my 3pt hitch would not raise with a load unless I briefly curled the bucket.
The transmission oil is regularly changed so I doubt the oil is the issue.
The ambient temperature was in the 30 degree range but even in subzero temps it has worked properly.
As the tractor warmed up it operated normally.
The symptoms sound like a spool is sticking.
Any suggestions on what to check first.
90cummins

/ 1720 SSS 3 pt hitch will not raise unless loader is curled. #2  
That symptom is either caused by not using the right PB plug or by accidentally swapping the tank and PB lines.

In your case, since it's been working fine and just went bad, I think your problem will be on the Power Beyond plug on the loader valve. The o-ring might have gone bad and it's bypassing the fluid to the tank till you move one of the spools for the loader.

/ 1720 SSS 3 pt hitch will not raise unless loader is curled.
That symptom is either caused by not using the right PB plug or by accidentally swapping the tank and PB lines.

In your case, since it's been working fine and just went bad, I think your problem will be on the Power Beyond plug on the loader valve. The o-ring might have gone bad and it's bypassing the fluid to the tank till you move one of the spools for the loader.

Do you have more specifics on the o-ring location??
Thanks
90cummins

/ 1720 SSS 3 pt hitch will not raise unless loader is curled. #4  
On the loader valve, you should have a total of 7 lines. 4 of them will go to the loader cylinders, the other 3 come from the tractor.

One of these 3 lines will have a Power beyond plug, which will be a slightly longer fitting right on the valve block.

This is the power beyond plug I'm talking about. The O-ring is right there at the tip.

P80 Carry Over Plug_73L.jpg

How, on an hindsight, these Ford tractors can be setup slightly different and will rather have just 6 lines on the loader valve. Then there is a block on the right side of the tractor, in front of the bellhousing, that you would rotate a spool, when the loader is removed so the fluid would feed the 3 pt. With the loader on, you would rotate the spool the other way to feed the loader.

I'm not sure exactly how yours is setup.

Thank you I’ll check it out in the next few days.
90cummins

Update on 3pt hitch operation.
As of June 2021 the hitch has been fine. The problem has not occurred since.
so if it ain’t broke I ain’t gona try ta fix it.
90cummins

/ 1720 SSS 3 pt hitch will not raise unless loader is curled. #7  
I can't get the 3-point hitch to lower on my new Powerstar 75 with front end loader. The draft control lever, the position control level, and the Lift-O-Matic control move freely, but the 3-point hitch does not respond. Any ideas?

There should be a control valve under the front of seat that controls the rate of drop for the 3pt hitch. If it’s closed the hitch will not lower.
90cummins

/ 1720 SSS 3 pt hitch will not raise unless loader is curled. #9  
The Powerstar 75 doesn't have a control valve under the front seat. I agree, it seems like there has to be a control valve, I just don't know where it is. I talked to the local New Holland service dept today and they are at a lose, too.