1759 over heating when shredding, PTO engaged

/ 1759 over heating when shredding, PTO engaged #1  

mrgreenjeanstx

Tractor
MF 1759 w FEL and MF 135
I have a problem the dealer has been inept at resolving. When Shredding the tractor will overheat after about 1 to 1.5hrs. I have to turn it off. It has been to the shop twice and the dealer I am sure is not running it long enough to see or find the problem. I have read the manual and checked all the belts etc to make sure they were tight. Has anyone run into this and have an idea what might be causing this problem?

/ 1759 over heating when shredding, PTO engaged #2  
That is a heck of a good sized tractor to be overheating. What size shredder are you using ? Of course you need to make sure the radiator is clean and not obstructed with dust/debris/clippings/grass. [I assume you already did that? I also would think that is the first thing the dealer would mention.] The only way my MF2660 EVER gets warmer than the lower 1/4 of the gage is when the weed chaff and crap clog the radiator and/or the screens around the front of the tractor. That's using either my 88" flail mower or the 7ft bush hog. "Shredding" can mean a lot of things. If you are in wet swamp grass or very dense ground cover of some kind that will put a sustained heavy load on your PTO and eventually heat the tractor if it is too extreme.

/ 1759 over heating when shredding, PTO engaged
I am using a woods 7' BB720X. pretty easy mowing given it is dry and hot here. Not heavy growth. I agree with your assessment. Yes I have taken the air compressor to the radiator to blow anything out that could be causing problems. Only when using the PTO does it give me this problem

Last edited:
   / 1759 over heating when shredding, PTO engaged #4  
Hmmm... well then check the radiator cap. If it is not holding pressure like it should the engine will overheat. The water pump could be going bad but that would have given you symptoms not just shredding. I had a Kubota chronically overheating recently and all sorts of terrible trouble and expense was discussed when it turned out to be nothing but a bum radiator cap. I assume you checked that there is plenty of coolant, etc.

I have, will look closer at the cap. Thanks for your thoughts.

/ 1759 over heating when shredding, PTO engaged #6  
Since opinions as to " clean" concerning the radiator vary, I suggest putting a trouble light bulb behind the radiator, next to the fan blades. Then go around to the front and look thru the core(s). You should be able to see the light. There may be an A/C condenser or hydraulic oil cooler in there too, making it more difficult to see thru, but the premise is the same-you should be able to see your light from the front.
If there are 2 or 3 cores under your hood, be aware that chaff and debris likes to pass thru the first (coarser) core and lodge on or in the second one. So the front one looks pretty clean, but the coolant radiator is obstructed.
Works best inside the shop or on an overcast day.

Last edited:
Guys, all of your comments have helped. I spent more time looking it over and there was a filter screen between the radiator that I had not cleaned. It was extremely dirty. We have cleaned and washed all more thoroughly. I have got to believe this will solve the issue as dirty as this was. I thought I had cleaned it but missed that. I will put it to the test shortly.

/ 1759 over heating when shredding, PTO engaged #8  
That filter screen pulls out from the side and is very easy to clean. Might need to turn the steering wheel all the way to one direction to make it easier to pull the screen out.

Last edited:
   / 1759 over heating when shredding, PTO engaged #9  
I notice you have a MF 1759. I have a 2016 MF 1754 that has 850 hrs on it. It has been a real problem. The emission system has failed 3 times. Unfortunately the dealer here in central Ohio has been no help at all. The tractor was purchased in May of 2018 so a few months of warranty remain. It’s in the shop now, it’s been there 4 weeks with no communication from the dealer. It’s been I. The shop 10 weeks total. I was wondering what your experience has been.

/ 1759 over heating when shredding, PTO engaged #10  
I notice you have a MF 1759. I have a 2016 MF 1754 that has 850 hrs on it. It has been a real problem. The emission system has failed 3 times. Unfortunately the dealer here in central Ohio has been no help at all. The tractor was purchased in May of 2018 so a few months of warranty remain. It’s in the shop now, it’s been there 4 weeks with no communication from the dealer. It’s been I. The shop 10 weeks total. I was wondering what your experience has been.
If it's emissions related issues. the warranty is 5 years per the government.