1870 Questions

/ 1870 Questions #1  

coachgrd

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1870
I cannot believe this is happening, but the wife is warming (slowly) to the idea that my back isn't that of 22 year old and that I could really use a front loader. I've looked hard at replacing my John Deere 455 with a Kubota 1870 or a JD 1023. I've pretty much settled on the 1870 (primarily because it's about as big as the budget will allow.) I've got prices from 3 local Kubota dealers and the best I have currently is $11,500 with a trade of my JD455. (The 1870 includes the 54" deck and front loader.)

A couple questions:
1. How does this price sound to you? (Dealer says they are allowing me 2K for my JD, so I assume his price is 13,500.)
2. He said instead of a ballast box, I could get away with weighted back tires which is included in that price. Agree?

Thanks for sharing any info...
gary

/ 1870 Questions #2  
I regards to ballast box of weighted back tires.
Does your lawn have any soft or wet areas that tire depressions would show in areas that you mow ?
At least with ballast on your 3 point, you'd have the choice of having additional weight (for loader work) or not (for mowing).

I don't have liquid ballast in my Kubota B7800's tires.
If I'm working with my loader, I'll attach a heavy implement on the 3 point for counter balance.
When I'm mowing in my field with my rear mount mower, I want my tractor as light in weight as possible ( no tire ballast and loader removed) so that I don't rut up the soft areas of my field as bad.

/ 1870 Questions
Not really and wet spots DHD. We sit on bank gravel, which got us in-ground septic approved 18 years ago, but the grass burns out pretty quick in the summer!

/ 1870 Questions #4  
1870 with mid-mount mower and FEL for $13500..... this past Saturday I signed a deal to purchase a new 2370 with 60" drive over deck, and FEL $13850

Last edited:
   / 1870 Questions
1870 with mid-mount mower and FEL for $13500..... this past Saturday I signed a deal to purchase a new 2370 with 60" drive over deck, and FEL for 13510.

Thanks BV. I would think they could do better but I've now contacted 4 dealers and 13,500 is the best deal I can find on the 1870. Where bouts in PA are you? If your dealer can do 13510 on a 2370, I wonder what they'd do on a 1870? I'm up in the NW corner of PA.

/ 1870 Questions #6  
Thanks BV. I would think they could do better but I've now contacted 4 dealers and 13,500 is the best deal I can find on the 1870. Where bouts in PA are you? If your dealer can do 13510 on a 2370, I wonder what they'd do on a 1870? I'm up in the NW corner of PA.

Sent you a private message

/ 1870 Questions #7  
I started out 9 years ago with an 1860 with 54" deck, FEL and the weight box. Not too long after I picked up a used rear blade, then some other rear implements - box blade, rake, etc. Once I got my first rear implement, I never used the weight box again even though it weighed more than any of my other implements. My advice is to save the money on the weight box and get something back there you'll use. When I needed more weight, I just hung some suitcase weights on the rear blade or box blade. Good luck whatever you decide.

/ 1870 Questions #8  
I started out 9 years ago with an 1860 with 54" deck, FEL and the weight box. Not too long after I picked up a used rear blade, then some other rear implements - box blade, rake, etc. Once I got my first rear implement, I never used the weight box again even though it weighed more than any of my other implements. My advice is to save the money on the weight box and get something back there you'll use. When I needed more weight, I just hung some suitcase weights on the rear blade or box blade. Good luck whatever you decide.

I'm going to slightly disagree with this. I have a BB1272, it weighs about 400lbs. That isn't always enough. I could buy a brush cutter and get the 800ish pounds, but then I have an implement sticking out several feet behind me. Not good for the tight spaces I always seem to end up in. So I bought a ballast box. Is it useless other than in certain situations? Yeah. But if it keeps my back wheels planted then it's doing its job.

/ 1870 Questions #9  
If you want to buy new, try Messicks, in various PA locations, and just for the heck of it, check Barlow Equip. in Somerset, KY. LOTS of happy Kubota buyers all around the Eastern US have said good things about them! They deliver, and no sales tax?
And, it isn't all that hard to make your own ballast box. I did, and the rocks were free! The other materials cost me under $100, plus a little electricity for welding and drilling. Scrap ext. plywood, left over black paint. I add or remove rock as needed.

P1010910.jpg