1962 Case 430 Diesel - Dumb Question: Oil Breather Removal?

/ 1962 Case 430 Diesel - Dumb Question: Oil Breather Removal? #1  

KilroyJC

Elite Member
Tractor
1962 Case 430, 1995 Craftsman Yard Tractor/mower, 1949 South Bend 9A Lathe, WoodMizer Lx55 sawmill, Kubota KX033-4 Mini-Excavator
I feel like a moron that I have to ask this, but I cannot remove the breather/fill cap atop the hood.

it just spins, it won’t slide up, it won’t push down (like a bayonet mount), I made a paracordnsling and tried pulling with two hands. . .

What am I doing wrong?

I really don’t want to have to fill the crankcase through the dipstick tube. . .

Thank you!

/ 1962 Case 430 Diesel - Dumb Question: Oil Breather Removal? #2  
Sounds like the rubber has gotten hard. Can you rock it back and forth?

/ 1962 Case 430 Diesel - Dumb Question: Oil Breather Removal?
Sounds like the rubber has gotten hard. Can you rock it back and forth?
A wee bit.

I am half-tempted to hang a come along from the rafters and see if I can lift the tractor by the breather 🤣

/ 1962 Case 430 Diesel - Dumb Question: Oil Breather Removal? #4  
I am thinking it is in the valve cover. How hard is it to pull the valve cover? Maybe then you can pry it out with rubber piece falling inside.

/ 1962 Case 430 Diesel - Dumb Question: Oil Breather Removal?
The oil breather sits above the hood, about 8 inches to the rear of the radiator cap and about 24 inches in front of the fuel cap. It sits on a rigid type that comes up from the engine, and does not rotate when I turn the breather cap.

the sheet metal drops below the level that I can see the top of the engine, so I cannot tell how the other end of the tube mounts, but I will try to sneak an inspection mirror in there next time I am up the woodlot.

NOTE: attached image is NOT my tractor, it is one I got off Teh InterWebz because it was easier than going through my very extensive (and completely unorganized ) Photos folder, which probably didn’t have a good angle anyway. . .)

Attachments

• 9BAE8711-64CC-4CFB-9714-BCD8FF560D42.jpeg
    9BAE8711-64CC-4CFB-9714-BCD8FF560D42.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 72