1970's SAE 80 equivalent?

/ 1970's SAE 80 equivalent? #1  

HatchetFF

Tractor
KUBOTA M4500DT
I have a 197X Kubota M4500DT, trans/hydralic fluid all seeped out from sitting. Manual calls for almost 8 gallons of SAE 80 but I doubt they mean the modern SAE 80 gear oil. I'm thinking some type of modern trans/hydraulic oil is the ticket, the question is - which one most closely reflects what they were calling for in the manual?

/ 1970's SAE 80 equivalent? #2  
Gear oil is exactly what they mean. And, you will probably have to use 75w-90 or 08w-90, if you want to use gear oil.

My tractor manual allows for SAE80-or-Hydraulic Transmission Oil

I would suggest you buy the hydraulic transmission oil, which is similar to SAE80, in viscosity, with different additives. It's also much easier to get in 5 gallon pails.

/ 1970's SAE 80 equivalent?
Very interesting... I had been envisioning SAE80 as that thick axle grease stuff you get in little squeeze bottles, I didn't realize there was SAE80-90 oil.

K7 - no mention of other specifications, just SAE 80.

/ 1970's SAE 80 equivalent? #4  
Straight 6 cylinder diesel, nice. I bet that runs SMOOOOOOTH.

Haha yup purrs like a diesel kitten - when it's got all it's fluids!

/ 1970's SAE 80 equivalent? #6  
Very interesting... I had been envisioning SAE80 as that thick axle grease stuff you get in little squeeze bottles, I didn't realize there was SAE80-90 oil.

K7 - no mention of other specifications, just SAE 80.

A popular misconception is that SAE 80W gear oil is heavy. It is not. And, has never been. It's lightweight gear oil.

Viscosity varies widely by brand. But, SAE 80W is about the same viscosity as hydraulic transmission oil, and 30W motor oil. That's why they are interchangeable in many applications.

Some people have difficulty accepting this this. But, gear oil, and motor oil, are not measured on the same scale.

The hydraulic transmission oil, is gear oil. It has to be to protect your transmission gears. It has more additives than straight hear oil, for wet brakes, and anti foam. Which you may or may not need.

haha yea Ray consider me popularly misconcieved. I guess I need to figure out what all this tractor is using this particular fluid for - trans/hydraulics/brakes/etc